Votes: 0 0.0%
  • everything in one big directory

• prayer and \"search for file\"

• Total voters

mr.ska

multi-user repository?

I became aware of what seems to be a fairly serious limitation with repositories. I created a repository on my company's engineering server, to both allow the other designers access to my project and to ensure that my data will get backed up with the rest of the server data. However, my associate that works with me on this project tells me that whenever I exit from Alibre Design, the repository that I created disappears. He can no longer find it or access it until I log back in.

What I need is a repository that can be accessed by anyone with permission to it at any time, regardless of what any one user (or owner) is doing. With summer vacation looming in the not-too-distant-future, I really do need to figure out how to ensure everyone has access to the project data when I'm not around, and vice versa.

Is there anyone out there using Alibre in a concurrent engineering setting? How are you handling your project data?

Cameraman

One of my biggest concerns with AD is the fact that users must be logged into Alibre's server to view shared repositories, and that single issue may stop us from using the repository. I have discussed this with Alibre, and am hopeful that a better system may be down the road.

Is your other user logged into the Alibre server? If so, then the issue that you point out is even more troubling, and is something of which I was unaware -- I had assumed that once the permissions were set, you were good to go (as long as you were logged in).

I like the potential of the repository, and am using it now, but at present I am the only user so there is no issue -- I am hoping for additional flexibility in v8 . . .

Regards,
Greg :D

mr.ska

Re:

Cameraman said:
Is your other user logged into the Alibre server? If so, then the issue that you point out is even more troubling, and is something of which I was unaware -- I had assumed that once the permissions were set, you were good to go (as long as you were logged in).

Yes, the other user is logged in at the time. However, to be clear, I am not using a repository on an Alibre server, it's on a local server within my company.

The other user has full permission save for administration, yet he tells me that when I log off, he sees the repository disappear.

I agree that this is a severe limitation. Alibre support offered this:

Alibre support said:
You can try to edit the localrepositories.cfg file for each user/computer to make it automatically reference the location of the repository. The repository will have to be located on a network drive or mapped network drive.

I haven't tried this yet, but will certainly do so at some point. Of course, it's not a sustainable solution (if it does work). I may need to solicit some programming help to automate the editing of said files, or may yet explore 3rd-party PDM software.