What's new

multi-user repository

moyesboy

Alibre Super User

I agree. currently the reps are an advantage only if you are working on your own, or only working with people who are miles away.
IF you are considering alibre in an office environment then the reps are no advantage and work as a negative point for alibre. It was a big shock to me when I found you couldn't share reps over a local network.
But I think there must be some big hurdle in the way Alibre works preventing sharing over a local network, or surely they would have made this possible by now, or not made it that way in the first place!

Re:

moyesboy said:
But I think there must be some big hurdle in the way Alibre works preventing sharing over a local network, or surely they would have made this possible by now...
It could well just be a practical matter of making a supportable product out of it. From what I've seen, the Alibre Repository isn't just a glorified file transfer, but a client/server database that includes all sorts of intelligence for revision and access control. So the server side of things is likely a full-blown "system" all it's own. If it's like most in-house back ends I've seen, it's esoteric and finicky and not really designed for "outsiders" to use. Turning something like that into a cohesive, documented, supportable package is labor-intensive, and thus expensive.

moyesboy said:
... or not made it that way in the first place!
I wouldn't count on that. In general, I've found that human beings are really bad at planning for the future, and computer programmers doubly-so. :-/

macinc

From what I've seen, the Alibre Repository isn't just a glorified file transfer, but a client/server database that includes all sorts of intelligence for revision and access control.

This makes the point well......If I am a larger company and want to purchase these features to improve the production efficiency and quality of my design and engineering department, here is my money. But if 8 out of 10 people on my design team are on my LAN, I've lost these features for the most part.

If I am a small company, working with a couple of people, then "glorified file transfer" with the option of space on Alibre's servers is just what I need.

:idea:

Cameraman

I need to bump this one back to the top . . . it's been suggested and discussed ad nauseum, so it is difficult to understand why we haven't heard definitive anything on it from Alibre . . . or maybe we have and I missed the memo? . . . this is easily the single biggest complaint that I have with AD . . . and if I might be so bold, I would submit that this single feature (or, rather, the lack thereof) will do more than anything else to prevent Alibre from growing in the "real" CAD world (where multiple designers working in the same shared server-based repositories are the norm).

We almost didn't buy the software last year because it lacked true sharable repositories, but like so many others we fell in love with the price . . . we saw all of the improvements that Alibre was making and thought that surely this would be one feature that would be added soon . . . but now with all of the hassles we've had it doesn't look like such a good deal any more.

Knowing what I know now, AD would still be my first choice if I were a single consultant or needed a stand-alone CAD station. However, if I had to go back and make the decision for a new CAD system for my company, I don't think I would choose AD again.

Best Regards to All,
Greg :D

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

OK..... thanks for bringing this back to the top.

I agree 100%. Why have we not heard anything from Alibre about the support of this! Perhaps if we all adopted Gaspar's signature file!

macinc

I'm still on board. It makes no sense to have to go through the internet to share files with someone next to you. If I am going to colaborate on a project, most of the time the other person(s) working on the project is going to be someone in my own company as well, no?
The config file work around only works if no one else has the repository loaded already (pretty sure I got an error when I tried it). If you were able to mount and dismount selected repositories, it would make it a little easier to share repositories even though it might cause you to have to make a bunch of smaller repositories (or go back to WFS).

sae

Hi Folks,

We hear you loud and clear and do realize this is a critical must have for many of you. We have been discussing various technical solutions to address this limitation. I would however like to speak to some of you to fully understand and define your most important requirements related to internal data sharing.

If you would be willing to speak with me, please pm me and let me know when you would be available to have a chat.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Scott Erickson
Alibre Inc.

Gaspar

Alibre Super User

Scott, Thanks a 1000 for posting here amigo! If you say AD is listening, I know you mean it and that's good enough for me :D

jemmej

Re:

sae said:
Hi Folks,

We hear you loud and clear and do realize this is a critical must have for many of you. We have been discussing various technical solutions to address this limitation. I would however like to speak to some of you to fully understand and define your most important requirements related to internal data sharing.

If you would be willing to speak with me, please pm me and let me know when you would be available to have a chat.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Scott Erickson
Alibre Inc.

Thank you for the invitation.

Jim