What's new

Multiple BOM tables into single drawing file

Hi All
I have been using this software for over a 12 years now and have developed my methods of modelling and producing workshop drawings to match Alibre's capabilities. My main area of work in the last 5 years has been around structural steel for new buildings and earthquake strengthening of existing buildings. I provide a draughting service to a number of companies. The preferred layout of workshop drawings varies from customer to customer, some want individual drawings for each part and then Assembly drawings to show the combined units for fabrication. Others just want 1 single drawing files with all assemblies and parts on the same drawing( 2D drawing method ) . The 2 options do create different time implication and smaller companies with good experience fabricators prefer single sheet drawings. this is often a faster and cheaper way of producing an acceptable set of workshop drawings. There is a move in our country (New Zealand) with multiple levels of sub-contactors involved in the construction industry that Pre-approved sets of workshop drawings are required before fabrication can be started.

As this is all tender work I am losing work to other Draughtsman with software that allows you to create a single drawing file with multiple Live BOM tables inserted into it.

If anyone out there has any ideas or Alibre programmer's can help please reply.

Regards

SouthernPedro

Hunter

There is a way to include multiple BOMs in one drawing, but it is a manual process. Also, the BOMs will be static, so any change to your assemblies/parts will require you to update manually. At least you won't have to type out the BOM.

Export your AD_BOM files as CSV files, and import them into the drawing as tables (Import Table). If your assembly/part changes, you'll have to export the BOM as a CSV again, delete the table and re-insert.

Hi Hunter
Thanks for the suggestion. I have used this technique over the years but it is quite risky when you are completing 30+ drawings in a complete project. My BOMs have been customised to include Material type, Cut lengths, weights and quantities. They are all driven by the Main GA assembly files. When I tried the manual technique I spent more time double checking and updating my BOMs than what I saved in time trying to put multiple BOMS into a single drawing file.
I dont understand why the Alibre software guys cannot allow multiple BOMs which are linked to a particular main Assembly View in the drawing file instead of the complete drawing file itself. Surely it would only require an extra level in the link reference path?

I do use the combine PDF feature in PDF creator but this again requires accurate file management to avoid errors.

Thanks again and If anyone has a fast efficient process I am all ears.

Regards

Southernpedro

Hi Southernpedro -- At the risk of going out into "nether-space," have you considered using "WizoGrid" to create BoM/Parts List documents tied to your Project files? It is far from trivial, but the "update" ought to work for you. ??? -- Lew