What's new

Multiple Computers

C3D

Multiple Computers

Does anyone know how I could access my repository from one computer to another. I have 2 computers with the same program yet whenever I use my second computer I can not access my repository from my original computer. Please help.

swertel

Alibre Super User

Your local repository is only "on" when logged into Alibre on that computer.

You can move your repository to a server location and then make sure the repository config file is the same for each computer.

WoodWorks

Alibre Super User

swertel: I have been contemplating moving one of my repositories to another computer on my LAN (to act as a server location), to be able to access my repository from 2 different machines on the LAN. Do you (or anyone else) have experience doing anything like this for computers not on the same local network? Such as using a Virtual Private Network (VPN), or FTP location. I am currently using an Alibre Server Repository, but looking to share locally among two different logins as well.

I understand from other posts that two computers (even with different logins) can not share the same repository simultaneously. In fact while I was learning to manipulate the repository configuration file, I found that if a second machine came online with the same repository, the repository dropped from the available list for both machines. I was looking to be able to add a COPY of my repository to another computer for reference information; as a read-only open (part already checked out) does not allow even use of the measurement tool to obtain information as all functions are disabled. I am assuming there was a conflict with the same unique repository identifier appearing on two different logged users.

I am also currently looking into the Intranet Repository offering from Alibre to allow hosting a server locally on my LAN, but understand that is a custom installation requiring individual tailoring to each installation. Additionally, the benefits may not be worth the costs involved. I assume it will have the same read-only limitations for checked out files. I am looking at a FAST way to share files between two logged in users on the same LAN, without going out and back across the internet. Anyone out there have any experience with Alibre's Intranet Repository?

C3D: To share files between computers with different logins, you need to have both online, and you can share your local repositories to the other user.

You can use Alibre's Server Repository, that is part of the Expert level package, to store your files always online and access them from 2 different locations for the same or different user login.

To share a repository between two computers at different locations, you can save the repository to a removable drive (USB pen/thumb drive etc.) that you take with you. Then modify the registry configuration file on the second machine to specify or include the removable drive. The registry configuration file is located at C:\\Documents and Settings\\"Windows Username"\\Application Data\\Alibre Design\\"Alibre username"\\Repositories.cfg file. This is an XML file listing the location of your repositories and can be edited with Notepad. Copy the line of information on your "movable" repository from the source machine, or copy an existing line and change the repository name (info in {} braces) and location. You can move your Repository to your removable media using the Move command from the Alibre Repository Explorer (move it first before working with the Repositories.cfg file).

Warning: This operation has the potential to cause a host of problems and you should have a good understanding of the Windows file system and use of Windows Explorer. Make sure you do a full Snapshot of ALL your repositories before attempting any such operation. Expect to spend some time learning and experimenting, as well as possibly restoring your data should everthing go awry. You are entering into maniuplating Alibre's internals that is not for the faint of heart.

WoodWorks

Alibre Super User

Your repository is probably located at C:\\Documents and Settings\\"Windows Login"\\Local Settings\\Application Data\\Alibre Design\\"Alibre username"\\Repositories. The repository is a folder with a unique name of letters and numbers surrounded by {} braces. The Repository is a database, and it is important it be copied entirely with all subfolder and included files. You can use the Move command in your Repository Explorer to determine the current path where any Repository is stored. You can verify the name of any particular Repository as there is a file under the top level folder in the format of "repositoryname.name". I prefer to move my repositories off my Operating System partition and onto a seperate data partition so I can restore my operating system without worrying about loosing data.

You can use folder synchonization software to keep a copy of your repository folder(s) on two different machines. They can not be used simultaneously, and you need to make sure the synchonizing software copies the changed repository onto the other machine before using it. You will have no way to integrate the data if you make changes to both copies of the repository. This becomes an important exercise in file management that requires "eternal vigilance". PowerFolder is an open source project that allow sychronization of folders across a LAN or even the Internet to a computer at another location. There are other Peer file sharing applications designed to share folders directly between machines, as well as a VPN.

Anyone else have other options for coordinating data between two machines?

I am looking to allow a second user to be able to open an Alibre file, and be able to query that information. Currently my main option appears to save all my data to the file system in a folder that is shared for access by multiple machines. We just have to coordinate updates to make sure two people are not working on the same project. I envision checking the file out from a Repository, working on the file(s) using the local repository as required, and then saving them back to the original repository and checking them back in. Then doing a Save As to the file system to keep the library of information current. Anyone working to manage data in an office environment knows that this process can be frough with problems.

Anyone have suggestions, or current experiences that would help?

C3D: Probably more than you wanted to know, but this the can of worm you are about to open as you embark on getting your data from one machine to another. I hope this saves you from learning this all the hard way, and there is a solution to your need somewhere in this diatribe. And please anyone else that can offer additional insight, please add to this thread.