What's new

Multiple-group BoM's?

Cameraman

Multiple-group BoM's?

Hi all,

This may be a long shot, but I've been with several companies where this would be a useful feature, so I figured that it wouldn't hurt to ask and see what you ("y'all" in the South, "y'uns" in the Pittsburgh area, "youz guys" in NY, etc.) think . . .

I work with products that have lots of options, so I end up with many assemblies that are very similar to each other. Over the years, I have preferred to place similar assemblies on the same drawing and use tabular BoMs with the assembly numbers (I use the same base part number with G01, G02, etc. suffixes to differentiate) across the top, part numbers down the left, and quantities of each applicable part shown in the matrix for each assembly.

The picture portion of the drawing will be similar, if not identical, for each of the assemblies, so I usually just draw the most "typical" views and then add some detail or auxiliary views to show important differences as required.

I know that I can manually add columns to an AD BoM table and insert the values that I want, and I assume that I can add views from different assemblies into the same drawing, but I'm wondering if anyone out there has been through this before and can offer any words of wisdom that would save me some time and effort before I dive in?

Thanks and Regards,
Greg