What's new

Need Alibre Help...Borked installation....*sigh*

jemmej

Need Alibre Help...Borked installation....*sigh*

I think I just borked my installation of Alibre. Running the shortcuts gets me to an installation (?) and running Alibre.exe kills itself after checking for updates sucessfully and then trying to start.

1. I can't find an uninstaller?
2. How does this affect my keys?
3. Is there a way to install over a messed up installation?
4. How do I reconnect to old repositories?

Jim

cclark440

Alibre Super User

1. I can't find an uninstaller?
Have you tried the windows uninstaller? Start->Control Panel->Add remove Programs

2. How does this affect my keys?
This I am not sure about, but I suspect this won't be a problem.

3. Is there a way to install over a messed up installation?
I have never tried to install "Over" another installation. If I remember correctly the installer takes care of anything that needs to be removed from a previous installation.

4. How do I reconnect to old repositories?
Uninstalling shouldn't remove any of the data from the repositoriys, but as always I suggest backing them up before you do anything. Once you get everything bac kto working order you can manually edit the repsitory.cfg file to add all of your repositorys

Hope this helps.

jemmej

CAn you elaborate on the last point while I uninstall AD?

Thanks!

Jim

I knew about windows add/remove, just wanted to make sure that was my only option ;)

jemmej

Well, everything is back to normal (I think) and I didn't have to mess with the .cfg file, everything appears to be ok.

Jim

cclark440

Alibre Super User

First thing is to make sure that the data files of the repository is still in the same location, or if it has been removed restore it to from your backup copy.

The repository config file is located in
C:\\Documents and Settings\\<user>\\Application Data\\Alibre Design\\<Alibre User name>
You are looking for the LocalRepositories.cfg file.

Open that file with note pad.
It should look similar to this.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UCS-2"?>
<RepositoryRegistry>
<Repositories>
<Repository guid="{2BDF377C-CFF3-4764-AD6E-BBF2AB7F6FF9}" name="<rep name>" v3name="" location="C:\\Documents and Settings\\<username\\Local Settings\\Application Data\\Alibre Design\\<Alibre User name>\\Repositories\\{2BDF377C-CFF3-4764-AD6E-BBF2AB7F6FF9}"/>
</Repositories>
</RepositoryRegistry>

The default location of your repository is
C:\\Documents and Settings\\<user>\\Local Settings\\Application Data\\Alibre Design\\<Alibre User name>\\Repositories
In this folder there should be at least one other folder that has a name similar to the text that is bold in the quote above.

Copy and paste this folder name in place of the text listed in the guid string in the .cfg file. You will also copy the entire path into the location string text in the .cfg file. If you like you can change the name that will be displayed in Alibre to anything that you like by changing the name text in this file.

If you have more than one rep. just cut and paste new lines with the definition string and change the appropriate text in each text string location.

I hope this isn't rambling to much. If you need a little more clarification please let me know.