What's new

need help with disappearing repositories

jwknecht

Alibre Super User
need help with disappearing repositories

I had something like this happen before, but I can't remember how I fixed it.

When I am working online tonight, my local repositories are disappearing. But, if I work off line they are there.

If anyone is on this forum and remembers how to fix that please respond.

jbeard

Ok spent a while tonight trying to help John diagnose the problem. I was able to replicate his trouble by adding more local repositories. Once I had more than about 6 local reps, some would always disappear when switching to online mode.

Along the same lines I discovered a different issue. If I started alibre in online mode, then none of my local repositories were visible (no matter how many or few I had). Even if I switched to offline mode they would not become visible. However, if I shutdown alibre and restarted it in offline mode, my local repositories were visible. Then if I switched to online mode they were visible along side my server repositories.

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

Thank you Jamie for confirming that I am not crazy (at least about this issue). I thought the problem was on my end initially, but what you did and a few more things I did confirms that there are problems on Alibre's end.

Here are some other things of note:

I had the same problems on my notebook computer.

Also, when going from offline with the local repositories visible to online, you can watch the local repositories disappear. All but a few will vanish. The number that remain seems random.

The server repositories seem very, very slow tonight. I could not work on a client's shared repository because it was too slow to access.

Alibre: Please fix this. I am going to bed (having got no work done).

cherkey

Holy cow! Did this just happen to you yesterday? Same here....end of day...just wouldn't be visible... my files would still open though if I selected one of the recent models from File...only local reps, but am connected online.....Weird..haven't tried today yet..
Cherkey

*So far so good today...*

A

Anonymous

This is a known issue with 9.1. Usually this problem can be fixed by setting your Alibre to "Work Offline on Startup", then clicking the link to work online after Alibre loads.

Our development team is aware of this issue and is currently working on a solution.

swertel

Alibre Super User
Re:

aa28 said:
Our development team is aware of this issue and is currently working on a solution.

Yeah! Alibre Development team. Usually, when you hear responses like this, the answer states "... and is currently working on the problem."

It's good to know that the Alibre Team actually works on solutions for the problems and not just the problems. Now if only other software could understand that.

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

I know that they are working on it because they have been in contact with me and I have provided additional information and some of my local files for their analysis.

It is great support..... I contrast it to my Comcast "support?" I am having major issues with my "high speed" internet provider. You call and you get the run around. I appreciate the efforts and personal touch from the Alibre team (the whole team, including this forum).

zzedexx

Re:

jwknecht said:
I know that they are working on it because they have been in contact with me and I have provided additional information and some of my local files for their analysis.

It is great support..... I contrast it to my Comcast "support?" I am having major issues with my "high speed" internet provider. You call and you get the run around. I appreciate the efforts and personal touch from the Alibre team (the whole team, including this forum).

agreed.

zzedexx

Re:

jbeard said:
Ok spent a while tonight trying to help John diagnose the problem. I was able to replicate his trouble by adding more local repositories. Once I had more than about 6 local reps, some would always disappear when switching to online mode.

Along the same lines I discovered a different issue. If I started alibre in online mode, then none of my local repositories were visible (no matter how many or few I had). Even if I switched to offline mode they would not become visible. However, if I shutdown alibre and restarted it in offline mode, my local repositories were visible. Then if I switched to online mode they were visible along side my server repositories.

ok. add me to the list.

and yes. i did notice that this happened in conjunction with the fact that i was (on this rare occasion) working online...

i restarted offline and everything was back.

for what it's worth, there have been a few infrequent occasions when i have used alibre & worked online and i didn't notice this happen.

today is the first time i've gone to get a file in a repository and the roepository disappearing trick happened.

the repository was open and the files were visible on the right frame, but the repository was no longer showing on the left-hand frame directory...

jemmej

I've had it happen too and maybe I can add something to help Alibre out. I've actually SEEN them disappear.

i.e. I restarted Alibre and was in the repository before it officially got online I suppose. Anyway, they were all there and then one by one they blipped away like someone was deleting them every 1/2 a second or so. Blip, blip, blip, blip, blip, blip...until I had only two remaining. Those aren't formatted any differently to my knowledge, in fact they are in the same location.

That's my $.02 to the situation. I've seen them disappear, so something is telling Alibre to remove them from the repository list AFTER they were loaded initially.

Jim

jwknecht

Alibre Super User
Re:

jemmej said:
I've had it happen too and maybe I can add something to help Alibre out. I've actually SEEN them disappear.

i.e. I restarted Alibre and was in the repository before it officially got online I suppose. Anyway, they were all there and then one by one they blipped away like someone was deleting them every 1/2 a second or so. Blip, blip, blip, blip, blip, blip...until I had only two remaining. Those aren't formatted any differently to my knowledge, in fact they are in the same location.

That's my $.02 to the situation. I've seen them disappear, so something is telling Alibre to remove them from the repository list AFTER they were loaded initially.

Jim

Exactly what I saw too. Same thing.

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

I have been emailing with development. They have not solved the problem yet but are working on it with priority.

I wanted to let the users know something that they told me. This is something you all need to know.

Apparently, one thing that will cause this is if you make .arb (repository snapshot) and provide this to another user. If this other user creates a repository from this snapshot then (I am assuming when you are both online) this can cause the problem. So: If you do share a .arb file, the best practice will be to delete your local copy (this may mean that you need to do some duplication to another repository). But, certainly avoid having duplicates of your local reps out there!

Sorry to restart this old thread, but has anyone else been experiencing this problem again? I was having repositories disappear late last week, but restarting offline and changing to online mode (to give my coworker access) solved the problem most of the time.

This morning however, we seem unable to keep the repositories up. If I start online, all the repositories are gone. If I start off line, they all show up. However when I change to online mode, the repositories disappear one by one in front of my eyes.

dgstoll

I had it happen a couple weeks ago, I contacted support they fixed something at their end and the trouble went away.
daveS

marm37co

This error occur because Alibre create two users: A offline user (default user) and the user online. When the software connect to the server the can load the repositories for both users. When the software use the offline mode in some cases only load the repositories of the default user. Solution: Load all the repositories in the default user.

How?

1) Exit Alibre. Search this two files and open them in NOtePAD:

C:\\Documents and Settings\\USER\\Application Data\\Alibre Design\\default user\\LocalRepositories.cfg

C:\\Documents and Settings\\USER\\Application Data\\Alibre Design\\USER\\LocalRepositories.cfg

*Replace the word USER for the name of your windows session for use Alibre

**For security, you can make a backup of these files before of continue with the next step.

2) The files *.cfg are xml files type. They have the address for find the repositories when Alibre startup.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UCS-2"?>
<RepositoryRegistry>
<Repositories>
</Repositories>
</RepositoryRegistry>

In the **** zone appear the list of the repositories and your adress in your PC disk. Cut and Copy all these references from the file LocalRepositories.cfg in the folder USER to the file LocalRepositories.cfg in the folder default user. Save the files.

3) Open Alibre and test. The problem disappear because Alibre always read the file LocalRepositories.cfg of the Default User, both in online as offline mode.

Muchas gracias.

The problems started again so I showed your solution to support. They said that while they had not tried it themselves, your solution sounded fine. They wanted me to try it, but then things started working again so I haven’t done anything.