What's new

Need more info on licensing

My rep made it sound like the licensing was pretty loose and flexible. With the standard licensing they said I could deactivate the license on say my work computer and activate it at home to work from there.

I was talking to my buddy who has Alibre and he brought up some details that I wanted to ask about. I figured I'd ask here before harassing my rep more.

He thought you needed the maintenance to be able to move licenses from computer to computer. Is this true or can you do the same without maintenance?

He was also under the impression that you could only do this between max of three computers or only got three installs per license or something along those lines.
I would like to clarify this. It would be nice to know I could let a temp employee or subcontractor install the program on their computer and license it there after releasing it from my computer. It would not be terribly convenient if the number of installs or computers installed on were so greatly limited.

Jim C

I had some questions regarding licensing and after quite a few questions and answers here is what I have found.

You have to be physically located at the computer that has the license that is to be deactivated. I have three computers, two desktops for design and shop use and a laptop. If I am out of town with the laptop and forget to deactivate the license on one of the other computers I'm out of luck. That means I have to think ahead ... ugh!

I'm not sure if you can actually have three active computers at one time although you can have two instances of the program running at the same time. Does anyone run two at the same time??

Also I don't think you can have a different person using your version of the program.

I will say that the support was pretty good, I think I did not pose some of my questions clearly enough but all in all things got worked out. Just for general knowledge there are two license utilities, GSLicense Utility and a License Server Utility. They are not the same, the Server is for servers I guess (makes sense) but looks like it works for activating licenses etc but it doesn't work for single licenses. That's where I caused some confusion with support.

If you want to have the GSLicense Utility on your desktop you can find it under Program Files>3D Systems>Geomagic Design>Program>GSLicenseUtil.exe. At least that's where it is located in Windows 8.

Jim C

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
There are some difference between what establish customers get, and what new sales get.

New sales get a single seat (one instance can run at a time) - the user can deactivate that instance from within the software (internet connection required), then use their activation code on another machine. There is no limit to how many machines the software can be installed on - it will act as a viewer and red-lining tool on installations that are not activated.

Your buddy with Alibre is likely on the previous licensing system - depending upon which version and when he purchased he will be allowed 1,2,3 or perhaps even 5 installs - only ONE allowed to legally run at once. Assistance from support or reseller is generally required to remove existing PCs form the 'installation pool' - if maintenance had expired, this might not be very high on the priority list (though should still be possible).

GaretDH

Further, as I had this issue last night, if you need to deactivate a license remotely, you must call support and beg them to do it. And they cannot release *a* license, they can only release *all* licenses, as they apparently can't tell what license is associated with each computer. So you'll have to manually reactivate your machines. Three in my case, with two licenses (I started using this software with five).