What's new

Need some feedback on realtime preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoltsAndBolts

Because the original problem statement is that these numbers are not only unhelpful, but more importantly may be incorrect during feature preview and for that last reason alone we are describing removing them. Making an option doesn't solve that issue.

It sound like you have already made the decision.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
When I make a selection of a series of edges for filleting there is no way I can tell by looking at a list of numbers which edge is which. Unless each edge or face had its number displayed on the model (more clutter) I can more readily by looking at the model than by looking at a list of numbers in case I have selected a wrong edge. When I see the wrongly selected edge highlighted I simply reselect it to remove it from the selection set and the select the correct one.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Based on the development tradeoffs, we've come to the following decision for the time being:

When 3D Preview is Off
We will continue to have the <#> identifiers, for now. We will at some point probably remove them, but not as part of this exercise, and in conjunction with making clearer ways to identify which geometry in the dialog corresponds with which geometry on the model.

When 3D Preview is On
We were going to show just "Edge" or "Face" for example. Our concern was that leaving off identifiers, by necessity, only when 3D previews are on would be confusing. Hence the discussion to rip them out everywhere. However, after investigation this is perhaps a change that has some unintended side effects and for this release cycle we will simply append a * to the input box geometry. So it would look like:

Edge*
Edge*
Face*
Edge*

The * indicates that the entity is no longer visible on the canvas, generally speaking, because it has been consumed. For example, if you select an edge to fillet and 3D preview it, that edge isn't there anymore. Turning off realtime previews returns the <#> text to the input dialog.

We will continue to evaluate ways to make it more consistent and take a more holistic approach at some point in the future. For now, the * should provide enough indication without cluttering the dialog.

Thanks for all your feedback here, we will incorporate it into future modifications to this UI. I will lock the topic now.

Status
Not open for further replies.