What's new

NEW ALIBRE INSTALL - REPEATED REBOOT REQUESTS

beefy

First of all I can't say how good it felt after I uninstalled Geomagic Design, installed Alibre Design and started it and seen the new Alibre Design startup picture.

FANTASTIC :D :D :D

Activated fine with the install.

However, the issue I'm having is when I start Alibre (still feels good saying that LOL), Windows installer seems to start running and a small update is trying to install. I've attached some screenshots in the order I took them to show what's happening.

I had to take the 5th "screenshot" with a camera because for some reason the screenshot capture software couldn't grab it.

I have Kaspersky but I even disabled this, uninstalled Alibre, reinstalled Alibre and tried again. Same problem remains however and I get through this Windows installer, reboot procedure every time I try and start Alibre.

Using Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit.

Seems I can only load 3 images at once so I'll have to add 2 more posts to upload all images.

Cheers,

Keith.

Attachments

• Screenshot 1st.png
    Screenshot 1st.png
    312.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot 2nd.png
    Screenshot 2nd.png
    29 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot 3rd.png
    Screenshot 3rd.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 5

beefy

Attachments

• Screenshot 4th.png
    Screenshot 4th.png
    92.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 5th.png
    Screenshot 5th.png
    282.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 6th.png
    Screenshot 6th.png
    33.5 KB · Views: 2

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
A small number of users have this issue - it is being looked into by the Alibre team.

Some people have found a re-install fixes, but not for everyone.

In a previous version, this was resolved by 'run as administrator' - but that doesn't seem to cure it this time.

Suggest you contact support and provide as much detail as possible, analysis is tricky because they have so few cases to study.

beefy

Ah so I'm one of the lucky ones :)

As per the email instructions from "migrate":

Uninstalled GM
Reboot
Installed Alibre

Did that with Kaspersky running, so then tried turning off Kaspersky, uninstalling AD, and reinstalling AD, but no change.

Keith.

weppler

I had the same problem.
Reinstalled this time permitting a desktop shortcut, and it seems to work.

An earlier version of Alibre (maybe 4 years back, before GD) had the same issue.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
weppler said:
I had the same problem.
Reinstalled this time permitting a desktop shortcut, and it seems to work.

An earlier version of Alibre (maybe 4 years back, before GD) had the same issue.
Now that you mention it, when I first installed Alibre 2017 I was having the same problem. After talking to Support they sent me a dot-bat file to run which did the install and recorded a log file to send back to them. Prior to running the file I removed Alibre then restarted my laptop. When the dot-bat file ran the installer and it asked to install the Desktop shortcut I permitted it where previously I had not. The install completed and Alibre started up and ran like a charm. So I wonder if NOT installing the Desktop shortcut somehow causes Alibre to think it needs to complete the install process when you try to launch it.

beefy

I've put in a support ticket, but still a thanks to everyone for the input.

Pretty sure I ticked the box every time to install the desktop shortcut, I normally do for anything I install. Anyway the shortcut was there after both installs so I must have had the tick box ticked.

The one thing I can't remember is if I rebooted after I uninstalled Alibre (I did reboot after uninstalling GM), before reinstalling it a 2nd time.

Nothing to lose, I'll go and uninstall AD, reboot, then reinstall. For the heck of it I might even re-download the AD install file. Fingers crossed.

Keith.

beefy

Well what do you know - working now.

Downloaded AD install again.
Uninstalled the "bad" AD.
Rebooted.
Disabled Kaspersky.
Right click on the AD install file and select "Run as Administrator".
Go through the install, ticking "install shortcut" plus the other one about a Start Menu shortcut.

Started Alibre after the install and all seems good.
Turn Kaspersky back on, AD still starts/works good.
Reboot - AD still starts/works good.

Ah well, guess we'll never know where the problem was :D

Thanks again everyone,

Keith.

pstemari

I was having the same problem, and the critical factor was installing with the "Create desktop icon" box ticked.

Running install as administrator, launching the software or not, running the installed software as admin, all had no effect. Changing that single parameter, installing with the "Create desktop icon" box ticked, made the problem go away,

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Kaspersky is known to cause problems with Alibre - may require disabling or to have exemptions set for Alibre.

De-selecting the shortcut options may be significant, so probably best to leave these selected.

After trying a few things, Support has a fix which seems to work for the majority of users that suffer this issue.

JST

Alibre Super User
Kaspersky has a lot of problems....

It has been observed to totally MISS malware.

I'd suggest something else. AVG has worked well, ESET has worked well.

Norton and McAfee seem to BE viruses. Kaspersky may be one also....

Jim C

I had the same problem when installing the Alibre Design and received excellent help from support.

Several methods were tried and the final solution suggested by Christina was to uninstall any version of Alibre Design, Geomagic Design and licensing programs Flex..(sorry can’t recall the exact name Flex???) using a program called Revo.

There is a free version at: : https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_un ... nload.html

Be careful, Revo digs into the registry (but makes a backup and restore point first) and the best bet is to get the complete instructions from support. Revo does a great job but support cautioned to only remove entries for the program being uninstalled. I had a full backup of one of my computers and selected “all” just for the fun of it, all went well until Adobe Reader would not run, reinstalled it and it runs fine but what other programs were affected I don’t know. Nice to have backups if needed.

From what I can tell everything works great and I think things load faster too. And many thanks to support for the excellent help.

Jim C