What's new

New CNC Router

KeithH

All you that are using CAM software with Alibre, have you heard of the Onefinity CNC router? What are your thoughts about it?
Check out cnczone.com Harold. I searched it for a while, and the people seem to like it a lot to like but u should search yourself. (I have a mill so u would know of the router questions).

I checked out the website you linked for them. Nice specs, especially for the money. . (If I had to do it over again I probably would have gotten a router first but I bought a lathe and mill in the middle of the night lol) (I’m very impulsive lolol)

KeithH

All you that are using CAM software with Alibre, have you heard of the Onefinity CNC router? What are your thoughts about it?
Oh yeah so I have mecsoft and I love it. But if you bought that router to do real routing and Ie not machining to the .0005” go look at Aspire. That’s the top routing cnc cam program out their hands down but they have many levels below that and they don’t rip u off when u want to upgrade. That companies name is vectric. But it’s the premier nest there is for routing cnc. It sucks for mechanical design but depends on what u want to do with the router.

And a milling or lathe cam sucks for what a router is used for . )at least cost wise) i don’t have a router yet but I’m looking at a shapaeko and whatever router I get I won’t use my mecsoft for it I would buy one of the levels from vectric for the router and use my mecsoft for my mill and lathe. (The reason why I wouldn’t use my mecsoft for the router is it would cost me 10k to do what a 2k top of the line a s aspire pro level costs and u could use the router to make some great things with a $600 level plan) , but the router doesn’t need the detailed stuff a mill needs that’s added on but a mill and lathe does (not sure if that makes sense)

Last edited:

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I asked mainly to get some opinions about the cnc machine(s). It looks comparable to Shapeoko for size, working area and price If I got one it would be for hobby woodworking projects, so nothing in the tens of thousands range of tolerances. I found it interesting in the few number of parts needed for assembly as compared to Shapeoko which looks like you need to assemble every nut, bolt and screw. (I'm surprised you don't have to wind the motors.) I like the screw drive over belt drive too. I'll be keeping an eye on it to see how the company grows and manages any issues that come up. It looks like Onefinity is a small company and they are going thru some growing pains with the amount of back orders they have now.

WillAdams

@HaroldL Current production Shapeokos come mostly assembled, and have since Summer 2016.

Contrast the instructions for the Shapeoko 2: http://shapeoko.github.io/Docs/ (which does build each assembly from discrete parts) with the current instructions:

https://docs.carbide3d.com/assembly/shapeoko/

which is from pre-assembled components as discussed at: https://carbide3d.com/vs/shapeoko-vs-xcarve/

and the new Pro is even simpler to assemble: https://docs.carbide3d.com/assembly...eoko_Pro_assembly_guide_02-05-2021_v1_web.pdf

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Yeah, even with the new fewer parts configuration for Shapeoko it seems like an awful lot of work to build the machine before you can use it. Like buying a car piece by piece. And they still use belts. That just seems problematic and a hassle to keep clean all the time.

sbeamers

imho, it's missing some key things that you may want almost immediately. If you start cutting wood, all the saw dust will cake the screws and slides. Even with a vacuum shoe, that much screw exposed seems problematic. No spindle (router) included and they recommend the compact Makita 1-1/4 HP....you may want more power than that and with more bit options. No table included - no t-slots. Ok if you plan on screwing everything to a spoilboard and the spoilboard to something else but eventually you may want a decent t-slot table for clamping.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
imho, it's missing some key things that you may want almost immediately. If you start cutting wood, all the saw dust will cake the screws and slides. Even with a vacuum shoe, that much screw exposed seems problematic. No spindle (router) included and they recommend the compact Makita 1-1/4 HP....you may want more power than that and with more bit options. No table included - no t-slots. Ok if you plan on screwing everything to a spoilboard and the spoilboard to something else but eventually you may want a decent t-slot table for clamping.
Are you referring to the Shapeoko or the Onefinity?

WillAdams

The belts are tooth down, and rarely, if ever become dirty --- if they do they are easily cleaned (or replaced if need be).

Assembling the machine is a good way to get to know the machine and its mechanisms for troubleshooting and maintenance.

The base Shapeoko includes everything one needs save for a computer and Internet connection (to download software, and I've burned CDs for folks who didn't have Internet):

- software (which runs locally, no network access needed save to update)
- CNC machine
- tools for assembly
- endmill
- dust shoe

with the option of bundling a trim router or using your own.

Accessories* are just that, optional add-ons which some folks want, but many folks do without --- when one does add them all, one gets a very nice synergy enabled by the fact that we write our own software. Interestingly, that includes MeshCAM which is developed by one of the partners at Carbide 3D.

* accessories include BitZero (a corner probe), BitSetter (a tool length offset measurer), BitRunner (a relay to turn the spindle on/off --- mine also does my vacuum), and the HDZ (an optional Z-axis which affords the greater precision of a ballscrew, and a narrower and taller carriage which affords more travel along X and Z), as well as a full line of workholding options.