What's new

New configuration with original drawing ?

kev h

Hi

Just had to change / add a part as a new configuration as very similar with slight differences .

Can i somehow use the original drawing and update dims or do i need to start drawing from scratch again??

Cheers Kev :cool:

albie0803

Alibre Super User
I think----------no

The drawing views you have are associated with the default configuration (assuming your part didn't already have any others) of your part. So any change to that config will show on your drawing but you would have to create a new drawing to get views associated with the new config.

When you create a new standard view, there is also the option to choose which config to use and I don't think you can change it later. But I may be wrong and wiser voices will no doubt chime in if I am :D

kev h

Hi Albie

Thanks for your reply.

It seems a shame that if not possible I am not sure I see much advantage to configurations as the model is just 2 files in a single folder.

I haven't used them much yet so might find some other advantage but IMHO would think that most similar parts would be likely to need a similar 2D drawing.

Might be one for the suggestions list. :)

sz0k30

When I was working similar parts did not get individual drawings. The base part was shown on the drawing and the dimensions were shown in a chart on the drawing.

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
kev h:
If you are making a change that is common to all configs the just unlock all the configs. Then make your changes then relock all configs. If your change is only on certain configs then unlock just those you want to change, then again when you done making the changes relock all configs.

It would help if you could up load your part. Maybe we can help further.
RockNut

Jimpulse

Alibre Super User
My experience suggests that the problem that a drawing based on Part1-Config<1> cannot be reassigned to use Part1-Config<2>. So even if the two configs were almost identical you cannot benefit from the work done on the Config<1> Drawing.

Best way I can think of would be to do a SAVE All AS from the Part1.ad_drw. this creates a second instance of the Part and it's associated drawing under different names and then you can do the edits and update the Drw for THAT part.

You did not say if the drawing was based on a Part or an Assembly, I'm assuming a Part

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
I always rename the default config (Config<1>) to "Base ". Which I use to make global changes, by unlocking all or unlocking the change refers to. Then when I make a new config (lest say config 1) I use the base as the template for the new config. Now depending on what the next config is I select either config1 or base as the template. Meaning the second (not counting base config) config can be almost like the first config expect for possible a line, circle, or some other feature diam or shape is different. The attach part file shows what I am talking about.
I have a port that each config has has two parts to it. The first part has a sketch use as a Boolean subtraction tool in the final assemble to create a attachment seat, The second part has the Boolean substation tool sketch suppressed. How I did this is I made a config call "Slide 1 BoolSubTool". I use the base config for this config. The I created the next config labeled "Slide 1 Assm" using the "Slide 1 BoolSubTool" as the template. I repeated this pattern for all the slides (60). Make a new Slide x BoolSubTool using Base as the template. Then make the Slide x Assm config using Slide x BoolSubTool as the template.

I hope this helps. Configurations are very very powerful tool.

RocketNut

Attachments

• WheelSpacerAttamenttBolt [M10x1.5 80mm] Long.AD_PRT
    276.5 KB · Views: 7

kev h

Thanks for replies , am afraid yours Rocketnut has gone over my head like one of your rockets !! :D but can tell there is some powerful usage of the configs going on.

My 2 parts were very simple and similar just a simple hole tapered extrusion die where just the taper and hole altered slightly and all the other dims stayed the same.

Just thought it would be great if configs would just alter the first drawing just like if you altered the original model and updated the drawing . (All dims same place)

I did a bit of file jiggery pokery just to get a print then reset back to the original but Save As All would have been easier :idea: :wink: