What's new

NEW FEMdesigner now available

Greetings!

We have just posted a new version of FEMdesigner AD, our FEA software integrated into the Alibre Design interface. Numerous bug fixes and performance enhancements are included.

If you haven't tried it yet, you'll like what you see in our Free Trial: http://www.femdesigner.com/download.html

We've also posted a bunch of new tutorials that cover the advanced functions of the product on our Support Page: http://www.femdesigner.com/support.html

If you have already tried it and your first evaluation wasn't what you wanted, I would be happy to extend your trial period so you can have a look at this latest, much-improved version. Just PM me here or send us an email at sales@femdesigner.com and we'll take care of you.

All the best,
Greg

elzaan1

Hi Greg. Sorry that I explain my problem here but I have none response. I bought the FD but all the fixes you send, still do not work. Is it possible to reply my e-mails ? Regards Conrad.

Guys,

I can tell you that there have been last minute problems putting things together over at FEMdesigner. Greg's initial announcement was somewhat premature. However, they are getting closer and focusing on this to the near exclusion of everything else.

Guys & Gals,

Let us remember that FEMdesigner is a 2-man company. It is easy for them to get overwhelmed and run out of hours in a day. If you want instant response & support you pay for it rather thoroughly. Look at the cost delta between FEMdesigner and (say) FEMap. While FEMap (and others like it) support a major corporate overhead, they also support a much larger staff than just the two principals at FEMdesigner.

Expecting more than 20 man-hours/day from them is just unreasonable. That is the nature of the beast.

Guys,

Just to be clear, the announcement I made above was for a release we made LAST YEAR. No new announcements about any new versions yet.

We are working on 64-bit, and we do have a patch for our 32-bit mesher and solver to work with 64-bit Alibre. It's in Beta. If anyone here wants to try it, email us at sales@femdesigner.com and we'll be happy to send you to the link. Also just to be clear, this is a PATCH that enables the 32-bit code to run on a 64-bit system. It also puts the menu in the ribbon bar and fixes forced vibrations. We are working on the full 64-bit implementation and hope to have something for you soon.

Thanks for your patience, and please bear with us. And we are not hiring (yet). :)

Greg

H-L-Smith

Will the 64 bit version include FE models suitable modeling thin plates and shells, Greg?

Thanks,

Lonnie

As it stands, Lonnie, the 64-bit version is simply a port of the current 32-bit code, with some minor enhancements, but no "big" features like new element types, sorry. We will get the new element types into the product, I promise. :)

Greg

IKRAJ

Greg,

I would like to wish you a Happy New Year.
It has been a looooooong time since I have heard from you or any notices regarding FEM.

If possible, I would like to communicate with you ASAP.

I hope all is well and I do look forward to hearing back from you.
You know how to get a hold of me.

There are issues that we need to discuss and this is not the platform to do it.
Take care my friend and please send regards to James.

Best regards,
Isaac

FYI,

The "problem" in making FEMdesigner work with V16 is relatively easily fixed. The default install by FEMforGD64 20131202.msi (I may have added the date reference myself in saving the installer) defaults to installing the AddOn connection in C:\Program Files\3D Systems\Geomagic Design 2014\Program\Addons\FEMforGD\ which should be changed to C:\Program Files\3D Systems\Geomagic Design\Program\Addons\FEMforGD\. In theory you can change this using the file path form that pops up when running FEMforGD64 20131202.msi -- something I had no success doing. However, merely creating the FEMforGD directory (folder) in the Geomagic Design\Program\Addons directory (folder) and copying the files from the \Geomagic Design 2014\Program\Addons\FEMforGD\ directory (folder) made everything wonderful for me.

Enjoy!

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Greg - good to see you guys are still alive, past attempts to contact you have gone into black hole. Any product news ? I've never been fortunate enough to get FEM Designer to work for me, but I remain hopeful that one day...

Having just done a second "install" on a friend's beast, I will add that you need to uninstall FEMforGD64 before proceeding. You reinstall after the uninstall and edit the file path (deleting the " 2014") and all is well.

DavidJ said:
Greg - good to see you guys are still alive, past attempts to contact you have gone into black hole. Any product news ? I've never been fortunate enough to get FEM Designer to work for me, but I remain hopeful that one day...
Hi David,

We have recently published the MESHING chapter of the user manual on our support page, and the 64-bit versions have been downloadable for a while now. There are a couple of bug fixes we'll be posting soon. If you'd like to try again, your old license code should work - if not, let me know and I will reset it for you.

grege

Hi Femdesigner users,
Trying to get something to just give me some output, seems I'm missing something crucial but cannot spot it.

Anyone advise of any gotchas that might result in the output file being totally zeros, apart from the line / element nos or whatever.
Cubify Design Version:[ PRODUCTVERSION 15,0,1,15081 ] 32-bit
Win 7 os on a laptop.

Everything seems to work but no outputs, a file of zeroes.
Mesh plots, set some reactions on one end of a rod and a load on the other.
Can see the things in the Fem explorer look like the modelling is set up with all the bits it needs.

Using an SS304 material definition from a downloaded zip.

Ideas?
I'm quite familiar with Cubify and the design stage. Not done FEM but understand the process, should be able to make it work, but cannot.

Ta ! Greg

Hi Greg,

The reason it won't work is because FEMdesigner works only with Geomagic Design or Design Elements, not Cubify. I believe the reason is that Cubify does not have the ability to internally generate a STEP file. Without a STEP file to work on, getting all zeroes for output would make sense, I suppose.

Cheers,
Greg

grege

Cubify will do STEP for FEM

Hi Greg, not so - I can export manually to STEP AP203 or AP214. Files looks readable.

Where would I put it - perhaps its looking in the wrong location and I can manually move it somewhere?

Ah looked in the FEMprojects and attached a file to show the inputs...
Thx Greg E

Attachments

• dump.stp
    9.8 KB · Views: 11