What's new

New hidden Features in V9

New hidden Features in V9

Here is a place where you can post the new features and funny things you discover in V9.0.

On my machine I can launch as many copies of AD as I want... :shock: [up to memory limit of course]

If I work in 4 copies at once...can I be 4 times more productive?

Sic humor I know...but the problems in V9 are just showing up and I figured I turn some of my frustration into fun. :twisted:

Post your experiances [with/without humor] here.

Steve

cclark440

Alibre Super User

I noticed this to. However I had an assembly open the double clicked on a file from my desktop and it started a new instance of Alibre, but as soon as the new file opened it killed the second instance and kept the new file open in the original. Strange!

Another V9 hidden feature...default node in every new sketch

Maybe it's late...maybe I haven't had enough beers... :shock:

But when I click on a plane and Choose to Activate 2D sketch the sketch starts out with a default point down at the origin.

I can select it but I can't get rid of it. The advanced selector says it's there as "point<1>" but I can't cut or delete it.

Has this always been a feature of AD8.2 or is it new in 9.0?

Hopefully this won't cause any problems later on having a spare node hanging around.

Steve

kdevoe

I had my first unexpected problem within 30 mins of using V9. If I have a hole extrude cut thru the side of a tube or solid object I cannot dimension that hole in a 2d drawing. I can dimension an extrude cut if it passes thru the axis or any flat surface. The AA I contacted thought it might be some sort of regression in the program, whatever that means. Hopefully he will get back to me soon as it's been almost 3 days now.

Let me know if anyone else is haveing this problem. All I did was extrude a cyclinder then extrude cut a hole going thru the axis (side of part) and then try to dimension that cut dia. in a 2d drawing.

Kevin

warburton1

Kevin,

Same thing here, it appears that the hole is not being recognized as a curve but as an arc.

Workaround is to dimension to the centre mark.

kdevoe

Gary,

Your work around works for hole location but not for hole size. What I have to do for now is manual type in the size and any other information needed for that hole.
I sure hope they resolve this soon.

BTW, thanks for taking the time to verify my findings.

Kevin

indesign

Alibre Super User

Thought 8.x did that too. Holes not going thru a flat surface gets broken up to the true 3D form as it comes out of the part. (elipse, arc, whatever)

warburton1

Kevin,
Are you using a sketch to create the hole thru the part or using the hole tool?

I have used the hole tool and the definition of the hole is identified (diameter, csk etc.), but I do have the auto dimension function set on for holes.

However, the location from datum edge to ctr would not pick up on the curve. It used to do this in V8.2, I had a similar part that I drew less than two weeks ago in V8.2, with a similar feature that dimensioned to the curve without issue. V9 won't accept the curve feature. This problem occured the very first time I used Alibre in V5 days, so I guess it is a little regressive :lol:

kdevoe

Gary,

I've try both. If I use the hole tool it will display the size, but if I use the sketch the auto dimension does not work.
In V8.2 it worked fine.

Kevin

euphnut65

FWIW

I don't know if this is worth anything, but I noticed in V8, that if you choose a major diameter, but keep the thread (not NONE), you will not be able to dimension the position or size (as I recall) of the hole. Now that we have more hole options in V9, I'm wondering if this has something to do with your problem. Then again maybe not :? .

Eric

scarr

I've had no problem creating a hole, with call-out on a cylinder using a plane tangent to the surface of the cylinder. I only encounter this problem when creating a hole from a plane not tanget to the surface of the cylinder.

mrehmus

Re:

kdevoe said:
Gary,

I've try both. If I use the hole tool it will display the size, but if I use the sketch the auto dimension does not work.
In V8.2 it worked fine.

Kevin

Auto hole dimensioning never worked unless I made the hole with the hole tool. If I just extrude-cut the hole, it always auto-dimensions with the radius. Also did that in V8-V8.2 for me

Re: New hidden Features in V9

captainCosmic said:
On my machine I can launch as many copies of AD as I want... :shock: [up to memory limit of course]

I put in an incident report on this the it has been closed.

"In V9.0...I can open as many Home Windows as I want. Just click on the quick launch icon in the task bar and get another and another."

The comment back from support was...

"Yes, you can. This has always been the case."

Will someone still running 8.2 check this out and reply.

Even if it has always been the case...I don't think it should work this way.

In every other application I can think of...when you try to relaunch the application the already running instance window comes to the front instead of launching another instance.

Steve

swertel

Alibre Super User
Re: New hidden Features in V9

In every other application I can think of...when you try to relaunch the application the already running instance window comes to the front instead of launching another instance.

I don't have 8.2 loaded, but I do remember being able to do this. Likewise, most of the engineering applications I run allow me to do this. Office applications do not. Alibre seems to be on par.

mrehmus

There are quite a few programs where you can run multiple instances of them. And there are good reasons to do so.

The prime reason I want to do so is not in CAD but in other editing programs where the setup is radically different between the work and I want to switch rapidly between the two or even three events.

Re:

mrehmus said:
There are quite a few programs where you can run multiple instances of them. And there are good reasons to do so.

Yes...but is there any good reason to do so in Alibre Design?

The problem is that you can't run multiple instances of AD safely because of a shared file that the second instance can't get access to in the repositories called alibredesign.adb.

If you keep working in the second instance wierd things will eventually happen...and when you call support and say that you are running 2 what will they say?...Why are you running 2?

So...why put the user through having wait for the second instance to open [a while if you are online with the first one]...only to close it down so you can get back to work.

It's an unfriendly part of AD's user interface...it's frustrating and hey...there are plunty of other things in AD to get frustrated with already.

Is even one person using 2 instances of AD for any good purpose?...if not then I say trap the second opening so we can get to work faster.

Steve

mrehmus

I understand about Alibre, Steve. But there are programs out there where it doesn't matter and you had said you didn't know of any. I was just mentioning that there are.