What's new

New kid on the block

swertel

Alibre Super User
New kid on the block

You'll never guess where I found this link, so I won't even mention his name.
http://www.spaceclaim.com/index.html

I'm just curious if they are going to take the Alibre route or maintain the overpriced scheme of the current mid-range modelers.

--Scott

Mibe

Alibre Super User

I'm not sure if this will be a complete cad package, my guess is a new type of kernel - like Parasolid or Acis but better :) Time will tell...

MilesH

Alibre Super User

I tried to find out something about Gravelsoft, when this first came up. Nothing much, so far...

kdevoe

Is this a coincedence or what?

Solid Works is loacted at 300 Baker Ave, Concord, MA
and
Spaceclaim is located at 150 Baker Ave, Concord, MA

Hmmmmmmm

Kevin

MilesH

Alibre Super User

Well, as Michael Payne was the lead developer of Solidworks, at their start-up, it's not that much of a coincidence :wink:

Attachments

• Bow 3rd Pass strake.AD_PRT
    1.1 MB · Views: 1

swertel

Alibre Super User

You mean maybe he'll get it right this time?

Oops, did I say that out loud just now?

Attachments

• Bow 3rd Pass strake.igs
    496.2 KB · Views: 0

indesign

Alibre Super User

I would figure if a person worked for another large CAD company wanted to start his own then he has 1 or 2 things in mind.

Cheaper
Better

Attachments

• Bow 3rd Pass strake.igs
    496.2 KB · Views: 1

swertel

Alibre Super User

I guess I was referring more to the user experiece of the CAD program more than the revenue generator for the parent company.

MilesH

Alibre Super User

Only joking.

My only experience of SolidWorks was with the Part Modeler that they gave away free in XchangeWorks (circa '99). It was much more awkward to use than Alibre is, now. Haven't had a chance to try SolidWorks since then. I certainly prefer the look of the Alibre GUI. The new SolidWorks interface seems to be veering off in the direction of Cosmic Blobs....

mtauer

I just spent a few days at 300 Baker Ave this past week. (CosmosWorks training)
I dont recall seeing much of anything else on Baker Ave (Ext) except for the building that Solidworks was in and another large building across the street. (a bank, I think).

If this was posted a day earlier, I would have checked :lol:

Mark

mtauer

Just did a mapquest and 150 baker and 300 baker ext. really are not on the same road. (It is bisected by Rte 2) but it is possible to throw a rock from SW's and hit Spaceclaim.

Take a look at the venture capitalist's web page.

http://www.nbvp.com/Portfolio/Default.asp#results

Once on this page filter by industry~software and filter by category~CAD tools and see what comes up.

Yes, there is not much going on tonight :lol:

Mark

Attachments

• royal armory library3 035.jpg
    royal armory library3 035.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 4