What's new

New Laptop - Finally

leeave96

New Laptop - Finally

Well, I finally bought a new laptop. Much thanks for all the suggestions and advice over the past few months.

We have Solidworks here at work and while I wanted something that could handle it, in the end - the $$$ required to buy anything that sits at home comes out of my pocket and that income is driven from work I do with Alibre - which is limited at best.

Soooooo, what I bought was something that had a few things I wanted for Alibre and something that wouldn't bust the budget.

Here's what I got:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 9206842590

It is an HP laptop w/1 gig of memory and a 17" screen. Far from the best, but so far so good. It also has a separate key pad like a desktop pc for entering numbers on the right of the keyboard.

Given the short life span of usefullness with respect to PC's, in my world it makes sense to spend less today and then rebuy after 3 or 4 years. BTW, even though this laptop is not the hottest on the market, it IS MUCH faster than the 5 yr old desktop I am replacing :D

Thanks again for your help.
Bill

swertel

Alibre Super User

Yep. Really good price, but as you stated, you will be replacing it soon.

I'm a little concerned with the ATI Radeon, the 5400RPM hard drive, and Windows XP Media Center.

Let me know how those work out for you.

leeave96

So far so good with the new laptop! Though not the fastest compared to more expensive units, compared to my old desktop, it is really fast - especially with larger assemblies.

The only thing that has jumped out at me is that if I edit a sketch dimension that is over-laying a shaded solid body is that the dim is a bit fuzzy. Not sure what's causing that, but all in all video is very good.

It's amazing the changes with PC's and how plug and play they are these days. I have been on three trips since buying this thing and was able to use hotel wireless internet, ethernet (?) cabled internet and at a location where there was no power handy - used battery! Being mobile and having the ability to access part vendors online is most cool.

The large 17" screen is great for busy models, drawings and the separate key pad is really nice.

Oh, I bought this thing at BestBuy. They have a 14 day price match deal. 10 days into that, they threw this PC on sale $150 off - which I took advantage of :D

Bill