What's new

Noisy charts or other fail solutions

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User
With little to no literature regarding failing results in Dynamics I wanted to start this thread. Time allowing I'll try to add symptoms and solutions for issues I've encountered.
My applications are not typical so a user may or may not encounter any particular issue. Other issues have a greater potential to be encountered and are totally vexing without some insights.
Having posted the issue herein elsewhere I feel obligated to post this solution promptly.

More modest simulations are probably not subject to many of these issues.

On another post I complained that "On Smooth Surface single point contact a "seam" and/or angular relationship can trigger unusable chart results or cascade constraint failures."

Extending trials with "extreme" settings resolve the issue.

Although no explanation for the section of "noisy" results in graphing is available and the sharp dropout of data at the transition point remains, the effect is trivial in the overall analysis (as I am not an FEA user).

Some background on the simulation is a rotating shaft with friction coefficient set at .999.
This permits me to graph the maximum force in the shaft and components in a given simulation.

The high friction slows or even stops rotation without "bumping" the rotation with an input torque when rotation falls below or exceeds a designated RPM (input[115] rpm lbf ft s/deg).
The rotation is monitored through an excel spreadsheet and a bump value returned to Dynamics to generate a steady rotation.
Unlimited rotation appears to create problems in an assembly such as mine where a larger number or special interactions create a need for more intermediate steps.
This also creates a more meaningful chart without bunching values together as speed picks up during simulation with low friction.

Using position tolerance with 12 decimal places creates a very smooth data flow. The noted drops in force are due to a rotation bump as speed drops and can be accounted for.
A position tolerance of 9 runs faster with some detail loss.
The simulation is extremely slow in the noisy section but resumes a brisk pace when clear of the quirky area.
The noisy section is not extraordinary otherwise.

Assembly and Bond tolerance do not appear to influence simulation (FEA settings?) and I keep the values neutral.
The simulation also uses an animation frame rate Time of ".005", Integration Step "variable" with Steps per frame of "8" and the "Kutta-Merson" integrator.
Overlap Tolerance and Significant Digits can be problematic if too high or low (for a later post). The values I use are suitable for the assembly used.

Orientation has not been significant within the values I've tested but I'll review and post any observation down the road.

Attachments

• Seam.png
    Seam.png
    56 KB · Views: 5
  • Seam 9 Decimal.png
    Seam 9 Decimal.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 272
  • Seam 12 Decimal.png
    Seam 12 Decimal.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 272

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User
Fly away parts

I have had times when an assembly that was just working suddenly flies apart when reopened and run.

I finally caught on that the "Material" settings have disappeared (and cannot be set).

As well as I can tell it can happen when Dynamics is closed and reopened too quickly.

I close Dynamics without saving (and GD) to clear any related memory and this seems to work.

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User
Step too small Halt - Assembly Tolerance

When Configuration Tolerance Position is reset (to a higher decimal place) it can/will set Assembly Tolerance to an even higher decimal value.
Assembly Tolerance was .001 before it flipped.

Lowering Decimal places in Position does not update Assembly Tolerance. A total evaluation of the issue would take more time than I can spare, so just be aware.

The effect can result in extemporaneous halts.

I was vexed by "Assembly Tolerance" disappearing without explanation during recent problem solving, since with additional decimal typically no value showed up. Checking the value became a short time habit.
Finally working my butt off on production solutions, this got by me and sidetracked a good day and a half troubleshooting to pick it up again.

There are a lot of distractions like this it seems. The worst of which is have to re-edit every graph for Y scale errors every time a change is made in Tolerance settings, the assembly is reloaded from GD, or the saved file is reopened. My Mom has advanced Alzheimer's and she doesn't push my buttons like this :roll: !

Attachments

• Ass Tolerance.png
    Ass Tolerance.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 185