What's new

Nuisance: zoom close up lost when editing sketch (can this be fixed?)

R-man

I have sketches (created via a script) of a timing belt winding in and out around multiple timing pulleys and plain rollers. These can have well over two thousand short line segments. The trapezoidal profiles are only 'cosmetic' but I still want to avoid collisions where the belt lifts from a pulley.

Often I zoom in for a close up of some detail of the sketch and, if I see a problem, I might want to do some experimental editing to see what changes are required in my script. However editing the sketch causes the zoom to be lost. When there are two thousand line segments involved, and a less-than-high-power computer, re-zooming takes a LONG time (washroom and coffee break kind of time). And often in my impatience I make anticipatory zoom and pan motions that are inappropriate, just adding to the delay and the annoyance.

Long story short: why does it have to be that choosing to edit resets the zoom? How do I ask that this be changed?

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello R-man,

Open System Options, choose Sketching, then uncheck "Snap to working plane"

upload_2019-8-27_20-36-24.png

Regards
Stefan

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
You could define a custom view orientation (Ctrl+U) while you are zoomed in to the sketch detail. Then when you edit the sketch and the view gets "disturbed" all you need to do is recall the saved custom view. When you are done with the custom view it can be deleted.

R-man

Thanks folks!

You responded much more quickly than my PC does. I changed the setting as Stefan suggested and that solved my problem. Also I didn't know that custom views were possible. Thanks again!

D