What's new

Nvidia quadro 600 1 GB Promo graphics

krd

I am in the process of procuring HP workstations. The workstations will have Nvidia Quadro 600 1GB Promo
graphics card. Please let me know if this is suitable for Alibre Design Professional current version available.

Mibe

Alibre Super User
For Alibre a Workstation with Quadro = Throwing money down the drain. Alibre is not optimized for OpenGL so the whole "workstation" concept fails.

Get a fast gaming computer with DirectX card, you will save money and get a faster machine.

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
Aside from the cost, is there any downside to the Quadro video cards? Some users may run other software that can benefit from such cards.

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
You mean the drawback of Quadro with Alibre?

I guess none. I am using NVIDIA Quadro NVX 135M for both Alibre and CoCreate.
It works sweetly.

The model is Dell Latitude D830, of course CoCreate runs like native, but Alibre also runs well, at least no failure no mishaps, nothing wrong with it..
I guess.. :->

Hop

krd said:
I am in the process of procuring HP workstations. The workstations will have Nvidia Quadro 600 1GB Promo
graphics card. Please let me know if this is suitable for Alibre Design Professional current version available.

This is the low-end, entry level, for the Nvidia Quadro series. You can probably get by with less, but the price is probably right if it is bundled with a workstation and your company insists on buying HP workstations regardless of application. I am in a situation like that with Dell here at work. I can probably configure and purchase something better from someone else, but why swim against the tide if it's not my nickel at risk?

Any video card for the PC that supports ActiveX 9.0c or greater is acceptable. I would base my choice on available resolution (more is better) and the ability to seamlessly drive two or more monitors. As someone here mentioned, open-source graphics or OpenGL capability buys you nothing for Alibre Design.

However, many video card vendors choose to support both OpenGL as well as ActiveX with appropriate drivers. After all, the hardware GPUs on these little beasties is now more powerful than the motherboard CPU, so they can pretty much program them to do whatever they want. In fact, some are so efficient they have spare cycles left over they can lend to the mainboard CPU to ease its workload... if only someone would write the multi-threaded software to do that.

Hop