What's new

Off-Topic: I'm baaaack!

OTE_TheMissile

Alibre Super User
8) 8) 8)

Ahhh, feels good to be back in my comfy office chair here at RIVCO. Got my little space heater goin', the Bob and Brian Morning Show on internet radio, my Warm Mouse keepin' my clickin' fingers toasty, and a good week's worth of CAD work lined up for me with more to come.

Hope everybody had a good Christmas & New Year's while I was gone. Got a pretty money gift from my parents; a Logitech MOMO force feedback steering wheel for my laptop. Very nice wheel for my racing sims, feels comfortable and with the force feedback at full bore it's all I can do to keep the wheel straight. Now I just gotta wait for my laptop to get back from HP service. They had a "recall" of sorts on my model for a problem with the left hinge constantly breaking. Coincidentally it also caught a virus a couple weeks after Christmas, so once it gets back I'm going to have my goofy brother wipe the harddrive & reinstall Windows. Technology, what'cha gonna do? Also got a new sponsor for the R/C racing, a company called SteelMX Optics. I'm getting 50% off on their full line of motocross & snowboarding goggles, sunglasses, and clothing. Depending on what my money situation looks like come spring, I'd like to pick up a new bigblock nitro truck to race this summer (the new Team Associated SC8), but if the $700 price tag keeps that from happening I'll probably continue to run my electric truck all year.

Unemployment was allright, I think I was getting something like $217 a week, enough for a kid still living at home and driving a 4-cylinder 2.2L light pickup, and enough to pay entry fees at the races. I could've come back a little earlier in the month but after talking with my supervisor he said he was still generating work for me and didn't want to jeopardize my unemployment by coming in to work only 1 or 2 days a week.

So, my fellow Alibreans, wha'did I miss? :D

OTE_TheMissile

Alibre Super User
Thanks guys, good to hear from y'all. High spirits, heh, that's even harder to keep than you think Miles. Dunno about the rest of the country (aside from SoCal & Nevada, where desert racing season's about to kick off in another week or so :roll: ) but we've been getting dumped on with snow this year in Wisconsin. Seems like just as the nasty stuff is over & we finally get our driveways and neighborhood roads cleared out & halfway drivable, another 7-8" drops out of the sky.

This was the scene at the end of our driveway in late December. That's my Old Man holding his tape measure against the snowbank, which measured exactly 3'. Currently I have to believe it's around 4' to 4 1/2' by now, I can no longer aim the chute on our snowblower high enough to clear it:

FILE0036_r.jpg

Making matters worse is that the Old Man and I followed every day of the 2009 Dakar Rally for the past 2 weeks (with TV coverage of the final "celebration stage" on tonight), and after watching motorcycles, T1 Raid cars (Congrats to 2nd place Mark Miller and 3rd place Robby Gordon for getting the USA on the Cars podium!), and T4 Raid trucks rip across South America every night we're both starting to whine out loud "I wanna go riding", & he just bought a brand-new Garmin Zumo GPS & has been spending every other night working on balancing the carbs on the Kawasaki Concours.

We're REALLY getting sick of winter :evil:

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
Hey, Mike.
You're back as someone predicted!
Welcome back to the forum.

Besides, I got a motor cycle. Do you have any gorgeous steps and coil spring covers for this model, too?

Attachments

• TTR250.png
    TTR250.png
    981.6 KB · Views: 104

OTE_TheMissile

Alibre Super User
Thanks for the well-wishes everyone, and Toshi, I didn't know you rode a dual-sport! You & my Old Man would get along great, along with the Concours (which he has just so my mom can ride 2-up with him) he's got a Suzuki DR650SE dual-sport. Dual-sports really aren't our thing, we're more into cruisers like Harley-Davidsons and Honda Goldwings, but we do make a bunch of fairly generic bits and pieces that can be used on anything. My Old Man's DR has a set of our SOMA license plate LED lights for rear visibility & they work fantastic. Until he switched to an LED bulb in the taillight they were the brightest, most intense lights on the back of the bike. Lemme know if you're interested, it's my understanding street traffic can get pretty hectic over there in Japan & getting rear-ended by a car while riding has to weigh heavy on the mind :)

Are you a member on the ADVRider.com forums?

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
Mike, you know what I got!
I didn't even know that is called dual-bike, I picked it up from the near by shop.
Here in Japan, I don't have to have regular check by official department if the engine volume goes below 250cc. That will make my burden less than the bike over 250cc. I had 4cylinder rode bike of 400cc (which I can ride with my license) as well, but it will cost me $800 to $900 every two years. It sucks, yeah? ( I am trying your way, ...)
With this small volume, single cylinder is the best buy, so I picked this which seemed cool.
But my legs could not reach well, since I'm short for this. :wink:
Just on the last week end I disassemble it into pieces just to reach the rear coil spring assembly to make it short, but it was in vain, since it's been shortened already, oh boy.
So I stick out front folks about 1 1/2 in so I can make it slightly comfortable than not doing so.

When, I get a license over 400cc, (which will cost me over $1000!) I would try Low Rider if good one were available. Then I might get some parts available for it from Rivco, perhaps.
Old Gold Wings are available here, but it has to be a H.D. coz my wife loves it!

Thanks for the reply, Mike.
Cheers! :mrgreen:

OTE_TheMissile

Alibre Super User
Well that's what we call 'em here in America anyway, dual-sport because it's basically a dirt bike that's been made streetable with grooved tires instead of knobbies, lights, turn signals, a horn, specialized exhaust, and a license plate. It's equally at home on city streets or country fire roads. Like I said, if you're not a member there already check out http://www.advrider.com, the TTR's have a strong following as dependable, easy to ride bikes, and you'll likely find a ton of guys there that can help you out with whatever you need.

See, even though I work with big cruisers, I myself am actually more of a dirt bike guy. I've got a 1985 (bike's as old as I am) Honda XR200R enduro bike, set up for single-track woods riding. 8)

xr200.jpg

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Here is what one of my buddies got last year. He plans to be selling the 'bobbers' soon. Look like an old bobber motorcycle but is more like a moped in size, and fuel economy.

Attachments

• bobber.PNG
    bobber.PNG
    372.1 KB · Views: 110

OTE_TheMissile

Alibre Super User
Pretty sharp 8)

Now depending on what size the frame tubing is, we sell these trick little 3-piece clamps that you can attach running lights or our more budget highway pegs to, or since it's got a twin-downtube frame like a Harley-Davidson Dyna he might be able to use our Dyna frame-mount highway pegs.

We've also got a universal mount kit for our air horns that'll attach to just about any size tube.

http://www.rivcoproducts.com/products/product.php?productid=352&cat=221&page=1
http://www.rivcoproducts.com/products/product.php?productid=282&cat=221&page=1
http://www.rivcoproducts.com/products/product.php?productid=43&cat=286&page=1
http://www.rivcoproducts.com/products/product.php?productid=3&cat=286&page=1

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
OTE_TheMissile said:
It's equally at home on city streets or country fire roads.
It sure is, I am not that good at riding off the road, though. :lol:

OTE_TheMissile said:
Like I said, if you're not a member there already check out http://www.advrider.com, the TTR's have a strong following as dependable, easy to ride bikes, and you'll likely find a ton of guys there that can help you out with whatever you need.
I wish to find girls too. :lol: Or guys include female...?
I have your URL already bookmarked by the time I saw your last post. Thanks for the info.

OTE_TheMissile said:
See, even though I work with big cruisers, I myself am actually more of a dirt bike guy. I've got a 1985 (bike's as old as I am) Honda XR200R enduro bike, set up for single-track woods riding. 8)
Gee! I used to ride XL250, which was faster than 400cc I had at signal start dash.