What's new

offset a solid

Old Geeser

I am trying to create a case for my new phone. I have created a solid model of the phone. Next I need to create something like a "offset" surface or maybe a negative "shell" of that model. I can find neither of these functions. Does anyone have an idea of how to proceed?

Thanks
Karl

Attachments

• Iphone 15 case.AD_PKG
    57.7 KB · Views: 2

Cator

Hi Carl,
maybe the Shell function is the one for you it seems to me....

Attachments

• Iphone 15 case.AD_PKG
    107.8 KB · Views: 1

Old Geeser

Thanks Cator, but I need to add on stock, not a hollow it out. The model I built is the actual phone sizes. I need to add a case around it. I appreciate your effort.
Karl

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
You could use the surface tools. You'll have to do some work around the camera lens but it should give you a start.
Maybe select all surfaces except the lens and add that at the end.

Maybe this video will give you some ideas.

Attachments

• Iphone 15 case Surface Tools.AD_PKG
    196 KB · Views: 1

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Take initial model, add a new configuration in which you Shell OUTWARD by desired amount. Save.

Open new part, select Boolean Unite, insert 2 instances of the previous part at origin. Set configs so that you have one of each. Confirm the Boolean. The part now combines the original phone and the 'offset' into single solid.

OR use Scale/Mirror Part and set directional scales as needed on the original model.

Old Geeser

Thanks for your effort, HaroldL & DavidJ. When I started, I figured I'd just shell a negative amount then do a Boolean subtraction. But I couldn't figure out how to do the shell outward. I couldn't sleep so I did it the hard way & created a structure .100" bigger and now 3d printing a first shot. But now after seeing your examples, I've got to try both of them. I have watched the surfaces tutorial (baby hi-chair tray) a couple of times and marveled at the technique each time. But it never occurred to me that was a solution for this job. Once more I am very appreciative of your help.
Karl