What's new

Old Snapshots & New Versions of Alibre

leeave96

Old Snapshots & New Versions of Alibre

Is anyone using Snapshots of repositories for a back-up? If so, are there any issues with loading files back onto Albre from snapshots of an older version of Alibre in to newer versions of Alibre? For example, say V8 snapshot into V9 or much later like V14 in the future?

Just courious.

Thanks!
Bill

mrehmus

I have a snapshot taken every hour and stored on a low-cost Netgear SAN. So far I haven't had to use the backup and I haven't had AD long enough to have really old drawing versions.

I would be most surprised if AD 9 wouldn't read AD 8 files, etc. That would make an awful lot of work obsolete from the time someone upgraded software. Massive rev upgrade, maybe. One rev number? Nah.

moyesboy

Alibre Super User

The latest version of a design program MUST surely open all previous versions of files.
For example, if you were running alibre since v6 or something and had design projects that added up to 10 Gb of data. you couldn't possibly open and save all that data to a new version. some of it may be archived on CD or stored offsite or something.
Now after your disaster and you are doing your recovery you need to open those v6 files...and you only have v8 (or later if its next year or the year after).
So I would expect Alibre to always open all previous versions or give me plenty of warning if that wasn't going to be possible (and hopefully a utility to convert the files unattended!).
Maybe some of you longer term users can confirm what is the normal case?
Anyone got any V4 files to open in v8?