What's new

one week after malwarebytes

indesign

Alibre Super User
It would appear that most problems people are having with stability have to do with six things.

1) Bug linked to not having default install location and shortcuts.
2) Installing while having some anti-virus or UAC turned on or not running installer as administrator
3) Malwarebytes or other anti-virus software restricting and/or removing components of GM
4) Incompatible or outdated graphics card and/or software including direct X
5) Running older add-on(s) that no longer work with or never worked with the combination of software and OS. (IE: 64 bit GM with 32 bit add-on or older add-on with 2013/2014 GM)
6) Old registry settings not being updated (possibly due to install bug or due to anti-virus software)

wildwood58

That's it, I had 5 of the 6 conditions you listed, and finally corrected the last one (removed malwarebytes) So far I have now been one week without incident.

TylerDurden

Alibre Super User
Hi John,

Thanks for posting your experiences.

I've been following along with a wary eye, because I have yet to transition from AD to GD... My maintenance is up in October, and I wanted to be confident of the stability before shifting over.

At this point it looks pretty good.

Regards,
TD

Kyle

wildwood58 said:
Today is one week since uninstall of malwarebytes.......my issue has not resurfaced
yea !
:D

Can you provide the product and version of Malwarebytes that you were running?

Such as Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Chameleon or Small Business Edition etc... version 1.70, 1.75 ..

wildwood58

16 days now since malewarebytes uninstall.

GM2014 has been opening without incident, I am not quite ready to proclaim the problem is solved......but I may be close to. I have been opening existing models and creating new ones on almost a daily basis.

fingers still crossed...but things a looking up
:D

mshideler

I tried it and it also seems to work for me so that is a nice change.

I just need them to fix the importing issues that I submitted a ticket for that they closed for some reason that I will now have to resubmit.

For the MWB issue, I hope that this make the rounds at tech support as this took nearly six months to fully flush out for some of us and there will be others that come along. They can now nip this one right off as a problem or not when a user cannot seem to get it to run properly.

Thumbs up to the other users here. GM support - eh. Im sure your working hard but....

wildwood58

Yes, this problem was solved in the forums (tech support did contact me several times both email and by phone),
but in the long run it was solved here.

All that tech support ever offered was:

UNINSTALL / REINSTALL AND KEEP START MENU OPTION AND DESKTOP ICON, AND OH YEA DO NOT AUTOMATICALLY CHECK FOR UPDATES.

Certainly not worth $400 maintenance fee

jimbees

John
To be fair to support, if you did not know that the problem was with malwarebytes, not GD, maybe support did not know either or that you had malwarebytes installed.
Jim

mshideler

Jim:

I think his point was that the answers he was given were standard canned type answers that are common anymore with anything technical.

wildwood58

indesign said:
It would appear that most problems people are having with stability have to do with six things.

1) Bug linked to not having default install location and shortcuts.
2) Installing while having some anti-virus or UAC turned on or not running installer as administrator
3) Malwarebytes or other anti-virus software restricting and/or removing components of GM
4) Incompatible or outdated graphics card and/or software including direct X
5) Running older add-on(s) that no longer work with or never worked with the combination of software and OS. (IE: 64 bit GM with 32 bit add-on or older add-on with 2013/2014 GM)
6) Old registry settings not being updated (possibly due to install bug or due to anti-virus software)

tech support never mentioned or asked about any of the six things above, beyond turn off automatic updating and keep start menu and desktop icon, "canned answers" are what I got.

people on this forum and in particular number 3 above has "apparently" (don't want to speak too soon) solved the problem

KMoffett

people on this forum and in particular number 3 above has "apparently" (don't want to speak too soon) solved the problem
I have the same version of Windows7, GD2014, and Malwarebytes running on my desktop and my laptop. On my desktop, if Malwarebytes is running, I get the evil "update" popup window. But, on my laptop they both run happily with no problem. Still working with Kyle.

Ken

indesign

Alibre Super User
Another note to add.

While not having the issues many here had with malwarebytes I did find one that is easy to avoid.

I left my GM file open overnight. Well I then get that dreaded error where I can not save my file but that stupid error message appears.
So I simply do a 'save as' and overwrite the file I had open. That of course worked.

Now what caused the problem?

FOUND IT!!!!!!

Anti-virus ran a scan during the night and when it scans a file it also locks it! Well the properties of the file are changed even though the file itself never was. GM does NOT like this and spills out the error. DO NOT LEAVE FILES OPEN WHILE ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE SCANS!

bigseb

Alibre Super User
indesign said:
GM does NOT like this and spills out the error. DO NOT LEAVE FILES OPEN WHILE ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE SCANS!

+ 1 for this. Along this line, also don't run GD (or any other software) while doing a defrag.