What's new

Open Loops That Are Not Open? (But Still Break Things)?

One more... I drew the outside rectangle of this using the line tool, where it automatically continues from the end point of the last line segment. And the other "Open Loops" are where I used the mid-point of the 8mm vertical line segments and drew straight across to the other end of the rectangle... Both the start and ends snapped to the relevant geometry.

These were (and as far as I can zoom in, still are) closed. I thought this was a fluke at first, but it happens constantly. Is there something I am missing... It does not seem possible that this can be intended behavior.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

AlibreOpenLoop.PNG

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
You can't have lines that are shared between loops in sketches.

You image shows 3 rectangles with 2 shared lines.

I see... Thanks. If it is not possible or realistic to allow this in Alibre, it would be very helpful for the user to get some warning much earlier... Meaning, as soon as a user adds something incompatible, there should be some visual indicator of the problem. The warning should not impede drawing of course, but some red flag could pop up to help the user know before spending a lot more time on things that are not going to work.

Will see if I can adapt to this... Cheers.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Alibre Design doesn't allow extruding regions of a sketch like some of its competitors allow. It works on the entire sketch outside loop to inside loops going island, lake, island, lake sort of pattern.
You can however project sketches into sketches and set sections to reference geometry in the sections sketch (or just delete them) allowing a master sketch to control other sketches.
I hope that makes sense.

Alibre Design doesn't allow extruding regions of a sketch like some of its competitors allow.
Right. And that's fair... I'm adapting. But I still think it's a significant weakness to not have an earlier non-intrusive warning. Probably wouldn't be good to have a warning on unclosed loops, since that would be every drawing at first. But as soon as I created a second connected loop, it should have given some feedback that this wasn't going to work.

The spellchecker in word... Squiggly underlines, is the kind of thing I am picturing. Something that doesn't stop you from what you are doing. But that let's you know you might be wasting time if you continue without addressing it.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
It would probably be a good idea to offer a few built in tutorials accessible from the main home screen that follows along with the users actions and gives hints and suggestions.

albie0803

Alibre Super User
I used to use an early 3d program called ProDesktop where the closed loop would fill with a light colour when it was complete. Sort of like Inventor when you select a region. If there was an error of any kind, then the sketch would remain empty until you fixed it. It worked the same way as Alibre does: island / lake etc.

I have asked for it to be considered several times over the years.