What's new

Opening a .STEP file: no progress indicator, just a spinning icon. Consider adding a progress bar...

ReedMikel

I am very new to Atom3D, so maybe I'm doing something wrong. I used FreeCAD to convert a .STL file to a .STEP, with hopes of being able to open it in Atom3D. I was able to get FreeCAD to convert the .STL to a mesh, then solidify mesh object and finally export as a .STEP. In Atom3D, I started a new part, then clicked File->Open and chose the .STEP file. The status bar/line at bottom of screen is blank and there's no progress indicator/status whatsoever - just the spinning circle icon. Been about 20 mins so far. The .STEP file is 175MB. Interestingly, FreeCAD also failed to display any progress info as it converted the STL to a "mesh" object - which took about 15 mins. So I'm thinking Atom3D simply shares the same lack of feedback when opening files (maybe just 3rd party files)? Since the file size is certainly known to Atom3D, why not display a simple progress bar (or display progress on bottom status line) at it processes the file?

Just my 2 cents :)

solveer

IMHO, a file of 175MB will not work in Alibre... far too big. I have successfully imported files larger than that (also faceted) into Siemens NX, but that is a different class.
Can you share the files, both STL and STEP (perhaps through GrabCAD)? I would be interested in taking a look and perhaps provide some additional feedback or a conversion..
Fyi, feedback on importing files, irrespective of whether the file size is know, is unlikely going to happen (irrespective of the software in question) as there is a lot going on in the background that goes beyond just 'reading' the contents (referred to as parsing). Some items are iterative, others based on other reference data, so the process is not linear (and thus cannot be estimated without essentially running through it).

Ben

ReedMikel

IMHO, a file of 175MB will not work in Alibre... far too big. I have successfully imported files larger than that (also faceted) into Siemens NX, but that is a different class.
Can you share the files, both STL and STEP (perhaps through GrabCAD)? I would be interested in taking a look and perhaps provide some additional feedback or a conversion..
Fyi, feedback on importing files, irrespective of whether the file size is know, is unlikely going to happen (irrespective of the software in question) as there is a lot going on in the background that goes beyond just 'reading' the contents (referred to as parsing). Some items are iterative, others based on other reference data, so the process is not linear (and thus cannot be estimated without essentially running through it).

Ben
I understand that the conversion process might not be linear - BUT at least provide some feedback to the user that the file conversion is progressing. A spinning circle is meaningless IMO - and often implies the process has run amuck :(
The file open/import did finally finish, so that's a positive :) I get the sense that converting from .stl to any CAD format is often going to reult in huge files, as stls are simply triangles that make up the object. Kind of like breaking a 1" line into 1000 segments, each .001 in length...

ReedMikel

Guess I celebrated a bit too soon - now Atom3D is totally frozen/hung :( The stl file was simply a small row boat design I found on Thingiverse (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:804679/files). My ambitious plan was to turn it into a replacement flush handle for a toilet (that I would 3D print) :) We live on a lake... I think I'll just design the simple shape directly in Atom3D and skip the conversion nonsense...

ReedMikel

Just for kicks, I decided to just plow ahead and use the imported STEP file of the rowboat I found on Thingiverse. Atom3D does indeed function ok using this imported stl file. BUT it is slowwww when rendering (e.g. after a Regenerate All). Does anybody know if one of the View settings might render the imported object faster than other views?

Last edited:

ReedMikel

One useful technique to speed things up is to "suppress" the imported object (rgt-click it in Design Explorer pane & choose Suppress), then create/edit whatever other components are needed. Once finished, un-suppress the imported object and you're good to go... I guess another way would be to move the imported file/object to the bottom of the Design Explorer pane, then move the separator bar just above it...

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
If you're using the imported STL for reference to rebuild the part with Alibre features and you want to keep it in the part file then just suppressing it should work just fine. Be careful though if you use Project to Sketch and have Maintain Associativity selected. That may cause some rebuild error messages and moving it to the bottom of the Design Explorer could mess things up.

ReedMikel

HaroldL - no I'm actually adding parts to the imported STEP file (row boat). The imported boat has its bottom resting on XY plane, and I then add parts using Atom3D to the XY plane. When I print it, they blend/print together perfectly... But during much of the design phase I really don't need to see the boat, so Suppress works well...

ReedMikel

Here's a view (Illustration) of the boat. The rectangular base is what I added in Atom3D (plus a few things you can't see)...

Attachments

• rowboat.jpg
    rowboat.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 12

ReedMikel

The completed row boat toilet handle - 3D printed using a PLA filament with 20% wood fibers - then stained... Every lake house should have one :)
Row boat toilet handle.jpg