What's new

Opening an .obj file

Old Geeser

I remember seeing a post telling how to open an .obj file via FreeCad I think, but I can't file the discussion by searching for ".obj" & "FreeCad". Can someone point me to a discussion on how to on "open an .obj file in Alibre" process.

I am running Alibre design version 27

Thank you

Stu3d

Freecad will convert an OBJ to STEP. There are various videos on Youtube according to which Freecad version you are running.
Basically open OBJ and select Alias Mesh.
Select Part workspace.
Highlight OBJ file in the left window.
From the Part tab at the top select Create Shape from Mesh.
Sewing tolerance is weird, the lower the number the larger the file contrary to logic.
After some time new file appears and hide the original in the left window.
Highlight new file and from Part tab select Refine Shape. I think this is omitted in latest version.
After more time hide last file and select new one generated.
In Part tab select Convert to Solid.
Export to STEP.
Large files are a nightmare and will crash.

Old Geeser

Thanks Stu. It took 5 hours to create the shape and many more to convert to solid. Now it is taking hours to export as step. I sure hope it comes into Alibre!

Old Geeser

Thanks again Stu. After many hours I finally got a very large .step file but Alibre would not load it. So in about another 5 hours I recreated it in Alibre. A much easier task than trying to do the conversion.

Old Geeser

thanks DavidJ
Instep Studio 3D looks like interesting software. If ever get another job requiring conversion. I'll look at it. With as easy as Alibre is to design, I just may recreate it just like I did with this project.

Old Geeser

Thanks for the offer UGMETALCASE. That is really a nice offer. Just another reason I enjoy this forum so much. Everyone is soooo helpful.
I've ordered the chips to upgrade my memory to 32 gig. I'll try the FreeCAD solution again after I install the memory and see if that was the issue that caused the 5 hours conversion time. (memory was showing 90%+ usage for much of the conversion).

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Inherently a mesh file will be much larger than a true CAD file of the original geometry. Many conversions don't try to re-create the original, they simply replicate the mesh file (many, many facets) in a CAD format, so again the file will tend to be huge.

The Instep software is interesting because it does attempt to reverse engineer the original (at least for simpler geometry) - not sure what kind of success rate it will achieve.

The software has two modes a simple mode and advanced.

Simple is bring in the part. Lets say it's a downloaded stl from something like thingiverse and it's got simple shapes. Rectangles, rads, holes, boss features etc. The simple mode will switch them to a solid and will give you proper cylinders and holes. The holes may be split in two surfaces, a little like what you get importing a stp file.

In advanced mode it works different. You can use the same principle as simple mode, but adjust the tolerances to change the reults.
There is also a surface to nurbs feature in there. You have an auto mode, which quads the mesh surface and then makes the quads a nurbs surface. This tends to result in a large file size as it's literally every single quad becomes a nurbs (or near enough)
Then there is a manual mode, where you can draw on the mesh a set of quad nurbs surfaces. Basically like a retopology task but it's nurbs that are produced. I use retopo software for scanned data surfaces then remodel in MOI3D.
This software is nice, and they have recently fetched the price down. They had a version 1 out years ago, they then went to Kickstarter and produced instep studio. It flopped, but I had some emails back and too with them and helped with a few items and got some more advice on things. A lot of the instructions are a little baffling especially if you don't really understand how the numbers of the algorithms work to recreate certain features.
They sadly had issues with sales, and of course few sales means less development and so it's become a little stagnant. The license server etc still works fine so they must still be doing ok, just not really well to develop it further. Perhaps something like 12 months or so of no updates, maybe longer actually.

For me the drawing nurbs on surfaces was a huge thing, it took a process out of my work load of doing it as a mesh first then changing it. You draw on the shapes and get the nurb surface out straight away. They did say they would like to split that into it's own software and rewrite it. Think they relied on other software sources to do the coding and then they implemented it how they needed to. So the autoquad remeshing it does uses Instant Meshes which is free open source software.

Some more examples of the manual nurb creation and the auto function.

Attachments

• AUTO AND SLICING.zip
    6.2 MB · Views: 4
  • LARGER PATCH.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • SMALLER PATCH.zip
    4.1 MB · Views: 3