What's new

Opening an old part re-writes file, even when closing without saving

NigelL

I have noticed the following unexpected behaviour with the latest Alibre (Alibre Design™ Expert, Version: V27 64-bit [Build 27039]) :

1. I open an old part (e.g. last saved in 2021) to check some dimensions.
2. I close the part without saving.
3. The part file is changed (it has a larger size and the current time and date).

Is there any way to prevent this happening?

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I have noticed the following unexpected behaviour with the latest Alibre (Alibre Design™ Expert, Version: V27 64-bit [Build 27039]) :

3. The part file is changed (it has a larger size and the current time and date).

This was an issue a few version back, where Alibre were forcing a write even though the user just opened the file to view. Just zooming in/out or panning around would do it. Alibre did subsequently change the code so that only 'edits' of geometry would force a write. It seems like they may have missed a few use cases! It's pretty annoying when you have strict version control and release processes to try explain why a file has changed even though the model it represents hasn't been changed, especially when that file has been signed off for manufacture! Makes doing version control difference audits a nightmare.

If you make a sectional view to inspect or view a part, I think that still forces a write. Do a forum search on the term 'dirty', that is the state Alibre call a part/assembly that has been changed to the point that a forced write is required.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Dirty design session or not - it shouldn't be ( and likely isn't) saving to the filesystem unless saved by the user. If you aren't careful you may have even ended up saving it by way of saving an assembly, BOM, or drawing that contains it.

NigelL

Dirty design session or not - it shouldn't be ( and likely isn't) saving to the filesystem unless saved by the user. If you aren't careful you may have even ended up saving it by way of saving an assembly, BOM, or drawing that contains it.
Hi Nate

This happens if I simply open and then close a part file (see attached). No other parts, assemblies or drawings are open at this time. Note that this only appears to happen to parts that were saved in an earlier version of Alibre. It therefore does not modify file again if I re-open the part a second time.

Regards, Nigel

Attachments

• BUZ_PS12.ZIP
    57.4 KB · Views: 3

stepalibre

Alibre Super User

This is because Alibre needs to save a new thumbnail for the file on exit.

1708515427944.png

It throws off searching by modified date. To avoid this I make old project folders read-only.

Edit: I don't think this should happen to be clear. The thumbnail should be updated when the file is saved and otherwise be untouched. There may be additional settings or data added to the file on exit.

Last edited:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
You could try turning off 'Optimised File Thumbnails' in System Options -> Display -> General

Optimised Thumbnails were new for v27. I'm somewhat surprised that a new thumbnail results in an unannounced save (if that is what is happening).

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
The suggestion about turning off optimised thumbnails was to see if it stopped the unexpected saving/update of opened files from older version.

Yes the thumbnail image will be different (and more variable) - but are files from older versions still 'force saved' when opened in v27 for the first time?

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
but are files from older versions still 'force saved' when opened in v27 for the first time?
Yes. I opened the old file with optimized thumbnails turned off and that was the result. I tried my own file that didn't have a thumbnail with the same result as NigelL file.

Cator

Hi,
I'm having the same problem with an assembly file created with v27. Every time I open it without doing anything something to save appears (but I haven't done anything). I save and close the file and the same thing happens again... .I really don't know what to think....

Ed S.

If you change the name, save as and ad v27 after the file name, will it still update the original?

Cator

Hi,
I'm having the same problem with an assembly file created with v27. Every time I open it without doing anything something to save appears (but I haven't done anything). I save and close the file and the same thing happens again... .I really don't know what to think....
I found the solution. My folder had a multi-word name separated by spaces. Inserting an underscore in the blank spaces makes the saving behavior appear correct

gwbruce

I was told a looong time ago by a very wise computer guru to never use spaces in a file or folder name. I always use an underscore or hyphen to separate words in file names or folder names.