What's new

Opening DXF files

GeraldH

Anyone have suggestions on how to fix this?
I am running V25 & 26 side by side. AD parts will open by default in V26, but DXFs open with V25.
I prefer V26 to be the default for all files. As far as I can tell I am unable to select which version to use as default by file type...

Also when opening a DXF in file explorer it opens a new V25 home window each file, after a bit I will unintentionally have a dozen home windows open.

Thanks, Gerald

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-03 085323.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-02-03 085323.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 16

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I've not been able to resolve that on my own system. I believe that development is aware of the issue.

ssflyer

You just need to change the file association in Windows, so that it knows what application is the default for the file type. This won't work from settings, anymore, as that just wants you to get some app from the Microsoft Store. You need to right click a DXF file from Explorer and choose, "Open With", click, "More Apps", then scroll down until you get to, "Look for another app on this PC" and browse for the Alibre 26 executable. Perhaps just personal preference, but I never open DXF files from Explorer - I always open them from within Alibre.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
ssflyer - unfortunately that won't work, DXF still opens with v25 even if you try to set it for v26 to be the default.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I can confirm the results @DavidJ got.
I just reset the Open With on a DXF file to v26. It still opened with v25 when opened (double-click) from the folder window. :confused:

idslk

Alibre Super User
I can confirm the results @DavidJ got.
have you chosen the Alibre Design.exe to open with (in the "newes" eg. "C:\Program Files\Alibre Design 26.0.0.26040\Program\" Folder?
Done this (see also ssflyers post above) and the double click on a dxf file opens with V26.

Regards
Stefan

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
have you chosen the Alibre Design.exe to open with (in the "newes" eg. "C:\Program Files\Alibre Design 26.0.0.26040\Program\" Folder?
I have only two versions of Alibre installed, v25 latest and v26 latest.