What's new

Opinions

macinc

Opinions

I have been working on building a website, and have finished the first version. I have included some Alibre screenshots and an animation in the design section of the site. I was hoping to get some opinions from others in the manufacturing field about whether these graphics add to the web site or whether I would be better off just having the text.
The Flash animation only works with Internet Explorer at the moment and is a little large at 3.5 meg, I am working on correcting this.
I also put a link to Alibre on my links page. I assumed it ok to do that, if not can someone let me know and I will remove it.
I am an amature at web design, so any opinions are appreciated.

http://www.macmanusautomation.com

MilesH

Alibre Super User

Matt,

I think you could tweak the alignments between the photos and the text on the home page. I guess you were aiming for a kind of diagrammatic effect, but my first impression was that alignment was kind of haphazard. I'd align it all, or pull it apart further.

Apart from that, it's looking good - you've done a great job.

I should think Alibre will be pleased to have the link :)

Miles

mkent

I just looked at your site with Mozilla Firefox and everything looked professional, from the point of view of a fellow controls engineer.

moyesboy

Alibre Super User

I see overlapping text in ie6 on most of the site.
I wonder what is different for me compared to the others?

macinc

Moysboy,
I have a friend of mine that has the same results as yours in ie6, but works in Mozilla.
I have IE 6.0 on xp sp2 and 6.0 on xp sp1, both are ok. It is also good on Firefox 1.5 except the Flash ani doesn't display. Sounds like maybe a font issue?
In your ie6.0 can you go to Tools>internet options>accessibility (at the bottom of the window), and see if any of the three boxes under "formatting" are checked? If they are then your ie6 is overriding the font format in the html with it's own settings (Tools>internet options>accessibility>fonts).
Thanks for your input.

moyesboy

Alibre Super User

nothing checked there
I am running xp pro SP2 ie6 version: 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.0550301-1519

Overlapping text here too. I wonder if it has something to do with the screen resolution of the viewer?
I have XP Pro sp2 ie6 20" monitor at 1600x1200
No boxes checked...

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User

I checked most or all of the links and had no problems with overlapping text.

1600x1200 on a 20" monitor with IE 6.0.2900.2180

Mike

rbrian

Re:

MikeHenry said:
I checked most or all of the links and had no problems with overlapping text.
1600x1200 on a 20" monitor with IE 6.0.2900.2180
Mike
Same for me on Dual 17" Nokia's, Resolution set at 1024 x 768, Same IE Version as Mikes!
Looks Great! Interesting Coding - Full text links on the services page!

macinc

I updated a .dll file in my html software to correct a problem listed as "font size changes on various pcs in no logical manner, causing text to overlap or disappear". I guess the new .dll uses pixles instead of points for the fonts unit of measure. I recompiled the site, but it looked ok on all my pcs before, so I can't tell if it fixed the problem. The only way I could get the text to overlap was to change my DPI to 120 (>Display>Settings>Advanced).
If I could get Moysboy or Gingerdawg to peek at it again and let me know if that fixed it or not, I would be extreemly grateful (I guess I would owe you a pint as well..). If you could send a message to mwestfield@comcast.net, I don't want this thread to go too far off on a non-Alibre subject.

Thanks!

moyesboy

Alibre Super User

it now looks fine!
...there was another guy on here with a website where some of saw overlapping text...