What's new

Organization Aims to Create a Nano-Replicator 3D Printer

bigseb

Alibre Super User
“I am not afraid to consider the final question as to whether, ultimately – in the great future – we can arrange the atoms the way we want; the very atoms, all the way down! What would happen if we could arrange the atoms one by one the way we want them.” — Richard Feynman, in a speech he gave at the annual meeting of the American Physical Society in December of 1959.

One organization, called the “Open Source Nano Replicator Initiative” looks to change this with a lofty goal of creating the world’s first nano-replicator – a goal which to some may seem more like science-fiction than a possible reality.

The full story...

bigseb

Alibre Super User
FWIW its worth I'm not exactly holding my breath here. I see an endless (maybe impossible) number of hurdles. Imagine 3D printing a rabbit...

1) How would you keep it from 'spilling over' while in mid-print?
2) How would initiate life in it once it was done printing?
3) How long would such a print take? We are talking atoms here so my guess it would take a while (understatement). Would the feet start to rot before you got to the head?
4) would the environment even have conditions suitable for growing a rabbit. I doubt a 100 degree cabin would work too well...

Just saying...

bigseb said:
FWIW its worth I'm not exactly holding my breath here. I see an endless (maybe impossible) number of hurdles. Imagine 3D printing a rabbit...<br abp="632"><br abp="633">1) How would you keep it from 'spilling over' while in mid-print?<br abp="634">2) How would initiate life in it once it was done printing?<br abp="635">3) How long would such a print take? We are talking atoms here so my guess it would take a while (understatement). Would the feet start to rot before you got to the head?<br abp="636">4) would the environment even have conditions suitable for growing a rabbit. I doubt a 100 degree cabin would work too well...<br abp="637"><br abp="638">Just saying...

Surely you'd go straight to printing the Rabbit Casserole....... :)