What's new

Orphaned Processes

MilesH

Alibre Super User
This is the typical aftermath of a session with GD.

Does anyone know of any tools to automate the cleaning up?

Attachments

• GD-detritus.jpg
    GD-detritus.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 26

Kyle

MilesH said:
This is the typical aftermath of a session with GD.

Are you running Simulate, Dynamics, or any other addons? This is more than likely due to an addon that you have installed.

Disable your addons one by one to help determine if this is the case.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Ralf said:
Yes, a reboot. :wink:

I normally switch my PC off in the evening, that obviously cleans it up. But recently I tried the sleep function instead and after a few days my task manager looked that too... :|

Alexander

Restarting GD worked for me with 2012/13 but with 2014 it has stopped working, the ram usage stays put when gd has been closed. Reboot is my only option now.
I have maxed my ram capabilities on my workstation,currently have 10gigs. Now I need to upgrade.....

Larry

Not sure if I have the Task Manager "switches" set the same as others...

...but even when running several open PART and/or ASSEMBLY files, I see only *one* instance of Geomagic Design.exe in the Task Manager process listing. Running Dynamics at the same time is no different; i.e., only one instance of DynamicsForGeomagic Design.exe. This same information is essentially echoed in the Resource Monitor - within the Resource Monitor, memory usage seems well controlled.

Note that in the Task Manager Applications tab, the separate instances running are shown.

Closing down Geomagic and/or Dynamics results in a clean relinquishment of resources - never have seen a problem here.

Larry

cclark440

Alibre Super User
I have seen this problem for as long as I can remember with Alibre, and now Geomagic Design.

I understand that shutting the machine off every night will fix it, but this method seems to ignore the issue that causes it.

So, i guess there is no real solution.

Also, I have no addons installed since I installed GD2014.

Kyle

MilesH said:
Kyle said:
This is more than likely due to an addon that you have installed.
Even if you haven't actually used said add-on?

Correct, you don't need to have actually used the add-on. Just having the add-on enabled in the add-on manager is all that is needed to make the calls to certain DLLs which can cause the add-on to not release the processes when closed.

You do not necessarily have to reboot your system to clear these hanging processes. You can just open your task manager and right click the process one by one and make sure to select "end process tree". If you only select "end process" it may not close any dependencies that may also be hung up.

For anybody else experiencing these issues please post with the information regarding what, if any add-ons you have enabled in the add-on manager as well as which version of Alibre/Geomagic Design x32/64 and your OS.

cclark440

Alibre Super User
OK, so it turns out that I did have Add-ons enabled;
Alibre CAM
Alibre Motion
Geomagic Translate
KeyShot
Print 3D
TraceParts

I have turned off all but the two I actually use regularly, Translate, and KeyShot.

I will let you know how this works out.

MilesH

Alibre Super User
I have the following Add-Ons showing as active in Add-On Manager:

Dynamics
Geomagic Translate
Keyshot
Trace Parts Library

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Yes, I can confirm that David.

I de-activated each Add-on in turm, in the Add-on Manager and Dynamics was the culprit, or more correctly, it was the connection between GD and Dynamics that was causing the problem...

So much for "In House" beta testing....... :p

We need a fix for this, urgently.............

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Great :D

The latest build of Dynamics (1231), now available from Downloads, has fixed this issue.