What's new

OT: Virus Software Recommendations

leeave96

I have a quick question:

My Norton Internet Security software is about to expire and though happy with it, I am considering McAfee because I can load it on two machines - my work PC and my kids PC.

Any thoughts/recommendations on these packages?

Thanks!
Bill

indesign

Alibre Super User
Our company gave up on both of those due to system problems with upgrades and un-installs. We had systems to completely lock the user out after un-installing Mcaffee and others that would not take the Norton updates and would not un-install either.

It took around 60 hrs of IT time to try to upgrade and then finally remove both Norton and Mcaffee from our company. We have since use AVG and are happy.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I'm another one with good experience of AVG, and bad experiences (though some of them a few years back) with both Mcaffee & Norton.

I use the paid for version of AVG on my business PC and laptop - the free version goes on the PCs my kids and wife use. The only minor issue I've ever had is that if AVG is installed before your e-mail program you might get an annoying little pop up each time a mail is scanned (but it still works).

If you do decide to move away from Norton, there is a removal tool downloadable from the Symantec web site (it removes any & all Symantec products).

indesign

Alibre Super User
DavidJ said:
If you do decide to move away from Norton, there is a removal tool downloadable from the Symantec web site (it removes any & all Symantec products).

Sadly, not always does it work. We had three such systems. They were older sytems that went through several upgrades over many years. The older stuff that gets upgraded seems to cause issues. I had to spend hours manually removing through the registry and repairing windows when done to finally remove Norton. Left our company with a bad requard after paying for a 50hr work week of nothing but attempting updates, removing and repeating (with Norton tech support helping the entire time). We even ran the tool from their sight and it still did not remove completely and one system had to be restored after the attempt.

Just a bad experience but if it were only on one system we probably would have kept them.

But I can say they are very secure.

mkent

I decided to try the new microsoft windows live one care NOT because I like ms but to avoid the finger pointing game. So far it has given no problems. $52 / year.

aeromorrison

My 2 cents.

I have used McAfee now for about 4 years. My license just expired and I have decided to get rid of it. McAfee seems to be a real system hog and it causes extremely long bootups (I have done detailed studies to verify this) of 10-12 minutes. For example, right now there are at least 7 McAfee related processes running on my computer consuming nearly 80 MB or RAM. At times these numbers go much higher. In all the time I have had it, I can't remember a single time when McAfee or the log files showed or alerted that it even did anything, except for things that I was trying to do--like connect to other computers on my LAN. The interface seems clunky (too helpful) without providing much control over what is happening.

That said, I haven't had any virus problems either. I am very interested in the group's recommendations as well.

Adam_N

I used to have Norton and ran from it when it became such a resource hog.

I too run paid AVG at work and free stuff at home for the kids. I have been happy with AVG now for about 1-1/2 years. It has caught some attachments coming in on email and even some website scripts.

The only issue I have had is that it gets kind of slow in Windows Explorer (not IE, the file manager). I have some folders that have quite a few downloaded EXE's that I have amassed over the years and every time I go into that folder, AVG wants to scan every one in real time. This of course slows my Windows Explorer to a crawl for a little bit. Other than that, I am very happy with AVG.

OTE_TheMissile

Alibre Super User
I've got both Spybot S&D 1.60 and Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2008 on my personal laptop, seems like the general consensus is what one misses the other catches. Here at Rivco we've got PC Tools Spyware Doctor. All good stuff 8)

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I use AVG Free antivirus and ZoneAlarm Firewall and Spybot S&D and Auslogics Disk Defrag and now CCleaner. Not all virus related but all free. All have worked great.

indesign

Alibre Super User
I always run several things if only once in a while. Not every program catches all the stuff out there and some are designed to catch only one type of bug. (virus, spyware, malware, trojan, keylogger, tracker, etc.)

Always good to have a thorough check up on the occasion. :wink:

Ralf

Alibre Super User
I think there are a lot of software on the market.
But we know, it is not only a question wich software ...

There are two big problems: The best performance against the best security.

The best security with the best control requires more time, many inputs and knowledge from the user.
Lower security with lower control requires less time, less inputs and less Knowledge from the user. ( preconfigured)

Also different modules in the antivirus software can not eliminate this process.

For the CAD workstation, I recommend no e-mail "reception".
For the CAD workstation browser-> antivirsoftware with good performance and Sandboxie similar software (virtual machine).
In the "Sandbox" or similar software (virtual machine) you can install and test Software, but after closing the software all files are deleted.

You can receive emails with a cheap old windows computer and antivirus software with the best security or with an Linux computer.

All software and hardware solutions have two problems: The user in front of the monitor :wink: and no protection just in time ( current atack in the last few minutes)

The current stupid trick: Unsubsscribe ? and I bet there have been thousands clicked the link...

Attachments

• Haha_unsubscribe.png
    Haha_unsubscribe.png
    25.5 KB · Views: 110

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I agree. They have a term for that. PEBKAC: Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair.

My Dad is one of these. He once got an email that told him a file was a virus and it must be manually deleted. Somehow he actually found it and deleted it. And then I had to repair his computer.

OTE_TheMissile

Alibre Super User
NateLiqGrav said:
I agree. They have a term for that. PEBKAC: Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair.

My Dad is one of these. He once got an email that told him a file was a virus and it must be manually deleted. Somehow he actually found it and deleted it. And then I had to repair his computer.
Same here :x

Once my Old Man made the mistake of having two antivirus programs installed and running at the same time. They both found something, and when one moved the file into its Quarantine, the other one would detect it and move the file into its Quarantine. Well then the first one would automatically detect a "new" problem file and move it back to its Quarantine. And on and on and on, at the speed of modern electronics...took us three hours to get one of the antivirus programs turned off.

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
I upgraded my Vista Home Premium to Vista Ultimate.
The purpose was to have MUI.
Found out to be a base language breaches here and there.
Another MS fiasco.
According to the support, if it persist with theirs, it is specification.
I also found 'Annuler' on one of the application uninstallation utility dialog which is due to French installation.

Oh, the update process once stopped because of the Norton.
I called MS and they said to uninstall it before update.
The instruction never mentioned it.

And... my Vista start to have 'Disk check' after I installed Ultimate. :evil:

Al, additionally, my PC did not have any option to choose Ultimate from the beginning.
Dell says since I upgraded, I can no longer get DELL's support.

MS says only 3 incident support for my Vista Ultimate.

Be aware even if Ultimate is only $120 more or less, it will cost you a lot more....... I think.
(With incomplete Multilanguage User Interface support) :(