What's new

Other CAD Packages

indesign

Alibre Super User
Has anyone purchased the latest CAD packages from other companies?

It's a good thing I don't have to right now but I may need to use Inventor to work with another company. After checking and getting quotes for the latest version I will have to get a used older package (I found a friend with a package).

Inventor 2010 quote from their web sight.---

"Autodesk Inventor 2010 has been optimized to take advantage of the SSE2 extended instruction sets supported on Pentium 4, AMD Athlon 64, and AMD Opteron processors. Inventor 2010 will not install on computers that do not support SSE2. Several utilities are available on the Internet that report CPUID, including supported instructions sets. "

----new system with that high end quote anyone!

I know my systems are capable but the guy I was working with is not even though his very expensive system could buy several of mine. Thats why he hasn't upgraded.

I looked at Inventor about 3 years ago, while comparing SolidEdge, Pro-E, Solidworks, and Inventor. Inventor was easy to use, and exported perfectly to AutoCAD (surprise...) which was nice for customers that still want .dwg format output. It was HUGE as a program, and seemed at the time to have a bit of Autodesk bloat.

If I were looking again, I'd give it a serious look, especially for the .dwg output.

Wing-Nut

Inventor the last I heard was $6000 with most of the bells and whistles. This price could be wrong as I have not gotten a quote from AutoDesk.

It is the most widely used CAD out there though. I used it in High School for 3 years, and didn't like it at all. Too picky with simple stuff. Then again back then no one had solids.

LOL, I watched an Engineer fight to make an RS232 Adapter for 3 hours :lol: He was having a constraint issue :mrgreen:

Like I said before it is the most widely used CAD software on the market.