What's new

Part Assemblies

With version ex 24 I now tried the Assembly for the first time. It is rather un-intuitive. While multiple parts can be built within one view, the equation editors provide me a new file for each part. To later on - vanish. When I go to a part ... non reproducible .. I can edit subassembly, and get the original equation editor. Sometimes, when I click on the equation editor in the top menu, I get the global equation editor, with all variables in capitals. Seems the concept of this behavior eluded me so far.
Somehow I will need single equation editors, as these are single stand alone files

Last edited:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Each file has its own embedded EE.

Each Part, each (sub-)Assembly, and if used there can be a Global Parameter Files sitting above all of them.

The EE which opens will depend upon which file you are working in at the time.

I'm not clear what you were expecting, nor what you might be asking...

I have the assembly view with all parts present. I already created everything in this view. I expect the equation editor of the selected sub part to become active then the sub part is selected. Be that as visual part or as item in the tree view on the left.
Actually I expect the same behaviour for saving. Selecting a sub part either visual or as tree view item, would let me save the sub assembly file when doing save-as. It saves the name displayed in the title bar of the assembly view. However it gets there.
And upon further investigation, the equation editor is also matching the name of the sub part named in the title bar.

Last edited:

Ex Machina

Selecting it will make it available to all the assembly tools applicable to it. If you edit it, either in place or in a new window, then it's equation editor will become active.

That is what I expect. But it does not. Single or double clicking on a subpart selects a single face and colors it light blue. Double clicking in the treeview selects the part and the whole surface turns light blue. But the file is not selected, save still refers to the assembly file nor is the part name in the titlebar.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Right click and Edit here, or Edit in separate window will select the part file for editing.

Since you are working from the assembly, you shouldn't have any need to save from individual parts.

What do you actually want to achieve?

dwc

Alibre Super User
That is what I expect. But it does not. Single or double clicking on a subpart selects a single face and colors it light blue. Double clicking in the treeview selects the part and the whole surface turns light blue. But the file is not selected, save still refers to the assembly file nor is the part name in the titlebar.
As ExMachina said, You need to edit the part, RMB -> plus either Edit Here or Edit in Separate Window