What's new

Part, Component, & Shape Libraries

And now, a Aluminum Association Round Tube library is posted at GrabCAD (https://grabcad.com/library/library-of- ... -w-index-1) for your design enjoyment.

1) These are all the standard sizes listed in the Aluminum Association standard. This does not mean that they are readily available off-the-shelf or in all alloys of aluminum.
2) The default alloy is set to 6061-T6 aluminum, but that only comes about from the fact that I mostly use that alloy.

<EDIT> -- A new link has been added as I found a typo in the ODS spreadsheet that has now been corrected. (15 Feb 2014)

Attachments

• AlumAssoc Tube.JPG
    AlumAssoc Tube.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 4
  • AlumAssoc Tube Selector.JPG
    AlumAssoc Tube Selector.JPG
    242.9 KB · Views: 15
I have just found (and fixed) a "darn-fool" typo in the spreadsheet access system for SAE Grade 5 and Grade 8 Bolts and Nuts posted over at http://GrabCAD.com and changed the ZIP file ID to "Rev A." Anybody using this should redownload the system and install the latest spreadsheet. The parts library files did not change.

I have just uploaded a library of SAE J1936/1 Hydraulic Port parts with (LibreOffice Calc) spreadsheet selection system over at GrabCAD.

Attachments

• SAE J1926 Applied Port Image.PNG
    SAE J1926 Applied Port Image.PNG
    69.2 KB · Views: 2
  • SAE J1926 Port Boolean Image.PNG
    SAE J1926 Port Boolean Image.PNG
    25.7 KB · Views: 1
  • SAE J1926 Selector Image.PNG
    SAE J1926 Selector Image.PNG
    52.2 KB · Views: 10
I somehow had managed to overlook my library of ANSI Dowel Pins which have now been uploaded over at GrabCAD. As with my bolt & screw libraries, there is a Control Worksheet where the various diameters & sizes are qualified as X (readily & commonly available), Y (usually can be found, but you will have to search for them), and Z (still officially part of the standard, but you will have to order a production run to get any) to provide feedback to the application index. You can "customize" the available diameter & size list as needed.

Attachments

• ANSI Inch Dowel Pin Example.PNG
    ANSI Inch Dowel Pin Example.PNG
    35.6 KB · Views: 6
  • ANSI Inch Dowel Pin Index Spreadsheet.PNG
    ANSI Inch Dowel Pin Index Spreadsheet.PNG
    43.5 KB · Views: 34
I just updated the AISC W-Flange Beam Library over at GrabCAD. It is now Rev A. The spreadsheet index is the main improvement.

Attachments

• AISC W-Flange Typ.JPG
    AISC W-Flange Typ.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 10
  • AISC W-Flange Index.JPG
    AISC W-Flange Index.JPG
    286 KB · Views: 17

dammerel

Lew

What is your workflow to use such parts in an assembly??
Say the assy has a number of the same sections but different lengths,
would each part would need a new name??

i would be nice to have the same part inserted and then change the length, drill holes, cut notches etc..

Andrew

Andrew,

My workflow depends on the situation. Usually, I do a Save As and append the length (as X L-LL where L-LL is the stock length in inches substituting the '-' for a decimal point) for each length. If I need to cope ends, add fastener holes, or the like, I do that as Configurations and make each configuration a dash number appropriate to my customer or program. As I most commonly use channels in weldments, I most typically only have to miter the ends and have them go into a weld assembly that way and then create my configurations to represent the different hole patterns that are, truthfully, added at a used-on assembly level of manufacture.

Does that help?

I just uploaded an AISC C- and MC- (Standard & Miscellaneous) Channel library over at GrabCAD for your enjoyment...

Attachments

• AISC Channel Typ Part.JPG
    AISC Channel Typ Part.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 6
  • AISC Channel Index.JPG
    AISC Channel Index.JPG
    280.4 KB · Views: 20
I have just uploaded a library of Aluminum Channels to GrabCAD. This includes: Aluminum Association Std C-Channels (a subset of the AISC channels), AND-10137 (now part of the SAE AMS-10137 standard) aerospace channels, and Aluminum Association "Special" Channels in AD_PRT format along with a (LibreOffice Calc) Index/Selector spreadsheet.

Attachments

• Channel Image.JPG
    Channel Image.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Selector Image.JPG
    Selector Image.JPG
    380.6 KB · Views: 4
Now posted over at http:\\www.GrabCAD.com is Aluminum I-Beam Library for GMD -- Rev A.zip -- a library of Aluminum Association S-Flange & H-Flange I-Beams as well as AND (now SAE/AMS) 10140 wide flange I-Beams for your design enjoyment...

Attachments

• Aluminum I-Beam Index Example.JPG
    Aluminum I-Beam Index Example.JPG
    264.1 KB · Views: 12
  • ANS-10140-4004 Example Beam.JPG
    ANS-10140-4004 Example Beam.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 8
I actually did this a while ago, but got sidetracked. I just posted a library of (inch) 1600 deep groove ball bearings over at GrabCAD (https://grabcad.com/library/inch-1600-s ... -rev-new-1). I believe you have to sign in (or create an account -- it's free) over at GrabCAD before this works.

Attachments

• 1621 Open Bearing.JPG
    1621 Open Bearing.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 1621-ZZ Shielded Bearing.JPG
    1621-ZZ Shielded Bearing.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 1600 Inch Ball Bearing Selection Index.JPG
    1600 Inch Ball Bearing Selection Index.JPG
    240.5 KB · Views: 13

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Lew,

Thanks for your continued dedication to your library. I wander over to your GrabCAD profile every so often and am amazed to see it growing steadily.

Cheers! :D

Sebastian -- I have been building such "libraries" since the days of the Gerber IDS CAD system. Most of my early libraries were based around the old sidebar menu systems. I have "ported" them to numerous CAD systems over the years and they grow as my customer's demands change -- or standard's and specification's change.

It saves ever so much time if I need a (xxx) and can just load an "index," select it, and incorporate it into my design. In the case of the 1600-type bearings, I have a customer who likes to use them in (jigs & fixtures) tooling. I had to get the specifications for them and build the models needed immediately. By spending a bit of time thinking things through first, I was able to build: (1) a spreadsheet into which the data was copied and (2) an Equation Editor driven model that allowed me to "step through" all the variations in fairly short order. Then it was merely a matter of expanding the spreadsheet into an "index." It now dawns on me that I should have included columns for shaft diameter/tolerance and bore diameter/tolerance as most people do not know such things off the top of (what's left of) their minds...

I have just uploaded UN SAE J429 Graded Bolt Geomagic Library -- Rev A.zip and UN SAE J995 Graded Hex Nut Geomagic Library -- Rev A.zip over at http://www.GrabCAD.com. Essentially, I split up my older SAE Grade 5 and 8 Bolts and Nuts -- Rev A.zip and expanded it to recognize the recently "reorganization" (read: denaturing) of the SAE bolt & nut standards as well as "updating" some of the application data. I just ran into the 2010 "update" to the standards along with the potential to remove important aspects of these standards from our repertoire.

LewisA said:
Is this library in Workbench? Your URL just took me to GrabCad.
Lewis -- You have to create an account (free) and log onto GrabCAD to access the library files. I have them posted there for general access and download because we, users of GMD, do not have a place where such things may be shared specific to Alibre/GMD products.

The supplied link will take somebody with a GrabCAD account directly to the download library once they log in. Otherwise, you can (after you have your account) log into GrabCAD, look me (Lew Merrick) up, and look in my Projects page and search through the many such libraries I have posted there.

Does this help?

I have now added a library of NASM1351 (UNRF-3A Thread) & NASM1352 (UNRC-3A Thread) Socket Head Cap Screws for aerospace usage over at http://GrabCAD.com It includes plain head, drilled head, and thread locking types in alloy steel, stainless (CRES) steel, and heat-resisting steel.

There is now a library of NASM21250 (used to be MS21250) 12-Point, Flanged Head, High Strength, 450°F (232°C) Service Temperature bolts posted over at http://www.GrabCAD.com for your enjoyment.

Attachments

• Lockwire Drilled Head NASM21250.JPG
    Lockwire Drilled Head NASM21250.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 2
  • NASM21250 Index.JPG
    NASM21250 Index.JPG
    296.1 KB · Views: 4