What's new

Part Features created by Project to Sketch in Assembly

tgarson

In my Assembly, I used Project to Sketch, and Extrude Cut, to place bolt holes in a part which line up with holes which were drawn into a different part.

Minor issue: I now have red "holes" in my assembly 3D. I wish to eliminate, or at least hide, those "holes".

Major issue: The holes created in the part as a component of the assembly are not integrated into the underlying part, which is problematic at best. However, what is unacceptable is the apparent (I have not been able to figure out how to do it, if it is possible) inability to produce a drawing of the part which includes those alterations.

Having the ability to integrate those modifications into the underlying part would also solve my "minor issue" as I could then delete those features from the assembly.

In my Assembly, I used Project to Sketch, and Extrude Cut, to place bolt holes in a part which line up with holes which were drawn into a different part.

Minor issue: I now have red "holes" in my assembly 3D. I wish to eliminate, or at least hide, those "holes".

Major issue: The holes created in the part as a component of the assembly are not integrated into the underlying part, which is problematic at best. However, what is unacceptable is the apparent (I have not been able to figure out how to do it, if it is possible) inability to produce a drawing of the part which includes those alterations.

Having the ability to integrate those modifications into the underlying part would also solve my "minor issue" as I could then delete those features from the assembly.
It sounds as if you failed the Coordinate with Original definition.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Did you by chance use the Assembly Extrude Cut or did you RMB click on the part and select "Edit Here" from the mouse menu?
It sounds like you took the first option so the holes only exist as features in the assembly. If you take the second option then the holes will become features of the part and you should fix your "Major issue".

tgarson

Thank you Harold for a cogent response! Yes, that is exactly what I did. I've been away from "heavy" use of Alibre for a few years and am having to relearn old, and some new, techniques. I went back and removed The previous cuts and successfully used Edit Here, as you directed, to create those holes.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
If you used Assembly features, that is really intended for things that only get created in the assembly (like 'match drilled' holes). You can however still produce a drawing of the part with the assembly features on its own. To do so create a drawing of the assembly, then 'isolate' the desired part.

tgarson

Thanks David,
That's good to know.
Hopefully, as I get my machine shop put back together from having to do major renovations to my building, my use of Alibre will become less sporadic and I'll be able to retain this sort of thing in my head between uses.
While I wouldn't classify myself as a professional machinist, I frequently need to (re)make some custom part, or mold/jig to make such things from resin, for my business of resurrecting oldy but goody electro-mechanical systems.