What's new

Part Grouping In Assemblies

WoodWorks

Alibre Super User
Part Grouping In Assemblies

Here I am at the end of a project, and I overlooked putting a collection of part into a subassembly that would allow me to hide them all at once. Hindsight is always perfect as to what I should have done (and will hopefully do next time).

But, without the old v8 Layers in Parts and Assemblies, I can no longer manipulate a collection of parts at one time to hide them.

While I have always thought the term layers was a misnomer for this capability outside of a drawing, but we do need to have this type of capability.

Grouping, Sets, Collections..., it would be nice to be able to define something to bring a bunch of parts together for operation by Color, Hide, Suppress, and other commands at once.

WoodWorks

Alibre Super User

I just noticed a similar post about suppressing fasteners, and this type of mechanism would allow creation of a set/group for fasteners or any other type of part.

indesign

Alibre Super User

Send a PM to Alex....I think he is going to look at the API capability of this. If he has a call for it then it may give incentive to do one quickly.

This is like a big deal for me and I sure hope he can do it.

Re: Part Grouping In Assemblies

WoodWorks said:
Here I am at the end of a project, and I overlooked putting a collection of part into a subassembly that would allow me to hide them all at once. Hindsight is always perfect as to what I should have done (and will hopefully do next time).

But, without the old v8 Layers in Parts and Assemblies, I can no longer manipulate a collection of parts at one time to hide them.

While I have always thought the term layers was a misnomer for this capability outside of a drawing, but we do need to have this type of capability.

Grouping, Sets, Collections..., it would be nice to be able to define something to bring a bunch of parts together for operation by Color, Hide, Suppress, and other commands at once.

While all the other stuff you mentioned would be useful as well, I'd rather have the ability to promote/demote parts to and from assemblies before the grouping functionality based on metadata. Drag and drop parts to/from assemblies would be great, but a dialog based implementation would be a good start.