What's new

Part Shell Warping

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
Salutations

Why does the outer shell splinting? What I am talking about is when a layer does not adhere to the previous layer, causing a gap (warping) between layers on the shell. This is not warping from the build table but after several (>200) layers has been printed. Like on one model was 128mm an another was only about 55mm tall when the warp happened. This warping seems to be random. Also as more layers are added the gap seems to grow. On one model this warp happen twice about 100mm apart! :shock: I have seen this with PLA,Nylon an ABS filament.

Any clues on why this is happening?

Rocket Nut

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Logically this seems likely to be caused by an inconsistency of material or conditions.

If filament is of good quality, variation in composition of filament doesn't seem very likely. Variation in extrudate temperature or flow rate might be possible, variation in external conditions (perhaps a draught chilling the filament) could also explain it.

Once there is a line of non-adhesion, I can see that shrinkage of subsequent nearby layers might tend to pull it open further.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
RocketNut said:
Why does the outer shell splinting? What I am talking about is when a layer does not adhere to the previous layer, causing a gap (warping) between layers on the shell. This is not warping from the build table but after several (>200) layers has been printed.
Warping can/will happen anywhere on the print, not just the build plate. You need to enclose the print area completely. That is the case with ABS and Nylon.

Why PLA is doing that is anyone's guess because it shouldn't. Could be delamination due to incorrect temps. What is your PLA nozzle temp?

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
The nozzle temp is 200 Deg for PLA. Could be related to print speed? Right now it is set for 40 mm/s with .1 mm layer height for PLA.
I have build the enclosure as suggested in previous topic.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
RocketNut said:
The nozzle temp is 200 Deg for PLA. Could be related to print speed? Right now it is set for 40 mm/s with .1 mm layer height for PLA.
I have build the enclosure as suggested in previous topic.
Try increasing your nozzle temp to 210° for PLA. The print speed is fine.

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
A on line friend suggested that the build plate in not level. What is the best way to ensure the build table is level? I am assuming that once it level then it is level for all print jobs. I am still waiting for support to address my lose table problem.

MikeHenry said:
I was wondering if thicker layers might not have better adhesion,

I am using the default .1mm layer thickness. I will try other settings with further pints.

ajayre

Alibre Super User
I've always used 0.3mm layers. I've used 0.1mm layers a few times, but the slower printing speed isn't worth it for me. I only make mechanical parts so haven't found a need yet.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
RocketNut said:
A on line friend suggested that the build plate in not level. What is the best way to ensure the build table is level? I am assuming that once it level then it is level for all print jobs. I am still waiting for support to address my lose table problem.

MikeHenry said:
I was wondering if thicker layers might not have better adhesion,

I am using the default .1mm layer thickness. I will try other settings with further pints.
For a 0.4mm nozzle the best extrusion height is 0.2mm according to the boffins so I doubt that layer height is the issue. I also doubt that its is the build plate as that would only affect the first layer.

PLA shouldn't delaminate. If does does then its usually a result of incorrect nozzle temp (may may need to go higher than recommended) or poor quality material. Cheap PLA often contains ABS. Nylon and ABS on the other hand are superstars at delaminating. Despite offering improved physical and mechanical properties than PLA they are difficult to work with. Worth the effort in my opinion, YMMV.