What's new

Paste DXF into Alibre

marsheng

I have a lot of DXF working drawings I was wondering if I could copy and paste features from the DXF drawing onto surfaces of the model in Alibre.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Not directly, but you can paste into 2D sketch, from DXF that was imported into the 2D drawing workspace. There is a rather dated video that details the process, the basic ideas are still relevant, but the UI has changed quite a lot (including no separate 'import' now - it's integrated into 'open'.

Hi
A couple of pointers when importing DXF files into Alibre. Experience from years of frustrating imports.

1: Save original DXF file as a copy suffix "Alibre import."
2: Open Copy in 2D software and delete any layers with items not required for import .
3: Go through remaining drawing items and explode any Blocks.
4: After exploding blocks go through drawing and delete any overlaping (Double) lines . Multiple overlapping lines play havoc with constraints later in Alibre.
5: Depending on what you are drawing I save a single file showing a Plan, Top and side view of the imported drawing. ( Have a common datum point in each view)
6: Import into a blank Alibre drawing.
7: Open New Part
8: Create new sketch on each plane . Cut and past require view from Alibre Drawing ( use Common Datum point create in DXF drawing)
9: At this point it depends on What you are planning to design. I often just Lock the Sketch ( Constraint Lock feature)
10: Create a new working sketch and use "Project to Sketch import tool" to grab required lines from DXF control Sketch. ( Highlight maintain association tick box)

Hope this helps

Pete