What's new

PDF Publishing in v9.2 and general performance issues

linuxguy

PDF Publishing in v9.2 and general performance issues

I just upgraded to AD v9.2, but overall performance seems to be, well, shall we say, in the toilet.. There are several times when AD just goes away for minutes at a time and I have no idea what it is doing, if it has locked up, or what is going on. This is way worse than I had with v9.1. What has happened to AD with v9.2? It's performance has gone totally into the basement from what it was with v9.1. If this has something to do with the so called adaptations to run under Windows Vista, then something is very wrong. I am running Windows XP Professional with all current updates.

Now, on to PDF publishing, which I am starting to use as the only means of publishing my robot models in forums and on my website. The published models do not show all components of my models. There are always parts missing as soon as I start rotating the model in published PDFs. Before I start manipulating the model in the PDF, it looks like the model is displayed as it should be. I am just using the Publish to PDF option. I have not yet tried the two new PDF publishing options.

It's been awhile since I got over here. I've been and still am knee deep in redesigning my W.A.L.T.E.R. octagonal shaped two wheeled rover and building a new robot I am calling The Bipod, and its larger sibling, Mega Scout, which are two legged hybrid biped walkers. I could not accomplish my designs as quickly without Alibre Design, but it does get in my way sometimes and there are still things that need to be fixed ASAP. AD still goes in and out of constraint mode when it shouldn't, and it just refuses to make valid connections (nothing happens) a lot of times. I should not have to fight with AD to accomplish what I need to do - it is supposed to make my design tasks easier, not more difficult and frustrating..

Whenever I change even the slightest part of an assembly that has configurations, I have to redo every single configuration. This is just rediculous. Why do I have to reset all my configurations when an assembly is changed? I now have some subassemblies that have eight configurations and that count will grow.

Ron

Dale,

What version of Adobe (reader/publisher) are you using? To view the models in PDF you will need to have at least version 7.0.8; 7.0.9 and 8.0 will also work. If you are using a previous version then you may see some of the behavior that you are describing. When I opened up both of your PDF files I think I was able to see all of the parts that were in the poster image, but I will further investigate it.

With your assembly configurations, what options are you selecting for each (what is locked / unlocked)? When a parameter is locked (either in a part or assembly) then it will stay with that value regardless if it is changed in other configurations. If it is unlocked then it is allowed to changed when it is changed in other configurations.

gregmilliken

Hi Dale,

Sorry you are experience some issues with v9.2.

As Ron said, regarding parts disappearing in PDF files, we saw some similar behavior with some 7.0.X versions of Acrobat Reader. These issues occured with files from various sources, not just Alibe Design, and we reported them to Adobe support where they were replicated. We believe these have all been addressed in the Acrobat Reader 8.0, so please upgrade and see if this fixes the issues of disappearing parts you are seeing.

As for performance, I understand Ron also sent you a private message and is working with you directly on the performance degradation you are experiencing. There is nothing in v9.2 that should negatively affect performance versus v9.1, so hopefully it is a straightforward issue we can help get sorted out for you. Please continue to work directly with support on this so we can most efficiently help you.

Also, I noted Dave's reply to your post that he has experienced no similar performance issues so this further confirms that it may be an isolated issue withyour system confirguration or a particular file or files.

Thanks for your patience, and of course, your business.

-Greg

linuxguy

Re:

Ron said:
Dale,

What version of Adobe (reader/publisher) are you using? To view the models in PDF you will need to have at least version 7.0.8; 7.0.9 and 8.0 will also work.
I have Adobe Reader 8.0.0 and I just updated it. Same problem(s).

Ron said:
With your assembly configurations, what options are you selecting for each (what is locked / unlocked)?
Right now, I have everything locked. I'm not sure what parameters affect what yet. I am fairly new to using configurations so there may be something I am not doing quite right.

8-Dale

linuxguy

Re:

fitzbond said:
No problems here I was able to pull up your PDF with no problems.
Hmmmm, I don't know why I get missing parts then. Are you sure no parts are missing in the PDF view? Each leg should be an exact mirror image of the other one.

fitzbond said:
BTW neat Robot
Thanks! I am still short of about $75.00 worth of brackets (the rest of the left leg and both feet) of having The Bipod all put together and ready for servos. I add more (and different feet) to The Bipod and it becomes Mega Scout.

8-Dale

linuxguy

Re:

gregmilliken said:
As Ron said, regarding parts disappearing in PDF files, we saw some similar behavior with some 7.0.X versions of Acrobat Reader. These issues occured with files from various sources, not just Alibe Design, and we reported them to Adobe support where they were replicated. We believe these have all been addressed in the Acrobat Reader 8.0, so please upgrade and see if this fixes the issues of disappearing parts you are seeing.
I have been using Adobe Acrobat Reader v8.0.0. for awhile now, and just updated it - no version change, but some support files were changed. Still the same problem(s) with missing parts.

8-Dale

Mibe

Alibre Super User

You have two different parts, ASB-06 and ASB-04 that exists in two different parts, but with the same name! It's easy to spot if you try to save the file with "Save As", you get the word "DUPLICATE" in the column next to the part files.

I don't think PDF allows that, since it collects all files prior to creating a PDF. If a file has the same name as a previous one, it simple replaces that and the first one disappears.

Use "Save as", and rename the parts that have common names. Don't rename the assembly file. When you're done it's possible to create PDF's with all files intact.

linuxguy

Re:

Mibe said:
You have two different parts, ASB-06 and ASB-04 that exists in two different parts, but with the same name! It's easy to spot if you try to save the file with "Save As", you get the word "DUPLICATE" in the column next to the part files.
How do these duplicate parts happen? I have no idea how they get into my assemblies, unless it is when I copy an assembly to create a new one from it. I copy the assembly I am interested in and change the name, then modify it to what I need. I do this all the time when I am creating new major versions of top level assemblies or subassemblies used as modules in other assemblies.

Mibe said:
Use "Save as", and rename the parts that have common names. Don't rename the assembly file. When you're done it's possible to create PDF's with all files intact.
I never could get duplicates resolved before and always ended up starting from scratch making brand new assemblies when I got duplicates. I'll try again as it may work for me now.

OK, I got the duplicates resolved, saved my assembly with a new name, loaded that new assembly in, exported a PDF, and it's working as it should now. :D:D

Thanks Miles!

linuxguy

Re:

Mibe said:
Many thanks! The missing parts in my PDFs are back again and I have resolved the duplicates. :D

Ron

I'm glad that it is now working for you Dale. I will continue to investigate it to find out the exact root cause of the issue.

Ron

Dale,

About your performance issues.

Where in product are you seeing these degradations in performance? Is it with the Bipod assembly? If so, when does Alibre seem to not respond; are you opening up the main assembly, editing parts within the context of the assembly, publishing the assembly to PDF or something else? Are you are using the Windows filing system or the repository?