What's new

PDFs and fonts

Hunter

Alibre's built-in PDF creator (HOOPS 3D PDF) produces excellent quality quality PDFs, but it doesn't embed the fonts. It means that if you send the PDF drawing to someone who doesn't have that font installed on their system, it doesn't show on their side. They will only see dots and/or symbols. Strangely enough, if I produce a 3D PDF and choose to included some text, then it does embed the fonts.
upload_2020-4-24_14-27-20.pngupload_2020-4-24_14-33-15.png

If I use an external tool to create the PDF (here I use FlexiPDF), it does embed the fonts, but the quality is not as good as the Hoops produced on. For example, the arcs and other curves appear jagged. Shaded views also come out as raster images (I see the shading has been fixed in V21).
upload_2020-4-24_14-26-49.png
upload_2020-4-24_14-32-29.png

Is this a bug in Alibre and/or HOOPS, or is it only on my system? I've attached two PDFs that shows what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• RPT-0001_R1 (Hoops).pdf
    62.4 KB · Views: 7
  • RPT-0001_R1.pdf
    87.1 KB · Views: 6

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Check that all fonts needed are installed 'for all users' on your system. If they are installed for current user only, HOOPS can't access them when generating the PDF. I'm not sure that this is your issue, but it is something that is a known 'gotcha, and it is fairly easy to check & resolve.

Hunter

Hi David,

No, it don't think it can be that because HOOPS 3D embeds the fonts when I create a 3D model. I've also tested this by installing three new fonts from Dafont, same result, HOOPS doesn't embed.

The same happens to Alibre drawing symbols, they don't get embedded.

Could it be that I should install Alibre "for all users"? I've not tried that.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I just checked in the Development issue tracker. Looks like this was a regression in a recent service pack from a technology partner - we are awaiting an update to resolve it.

Hunter

Fantastic, you just saved me from trying a reinstall. Thanks for checking and for the feedback.

Have there been any updates on this? We're having this problem at my company as well.

Edit: Yes the problem is fixed in Alibre Design V22

Last edited:

Hunter

Have there been any updates on this? We're having this problem at my company as well.

Edit: Yes the problem is fixed in Alibre Design V22
Ja, it's fixed. Now also have proper vector geometry in the PDF, shaded views also displaying correctly.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Almost all PDF issues should now be done :D That's why we delayed v22 - we got a HOOPS update that addressed a bunch of this kind of thing and figured it best to make sure it was included.