What's new

PDM update?

PaulProe

Max - any updates on the PDM project that Alibre is working on? I am running into issue after issue, needing some way to manage the data I have. My mind is beginning to drop things thru the cracks and my notebooks need and index to the index.

Any hope on the horizon?

Paul

Stu3d

I had an email from my reseller in February saying release should be in March, PDM only available in Expert.

M00m137

Yeah, I heard that too. Checking daily now. Okay, well, twice today.

Fine, possibly it was three times.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
and we haven't had a Beta yet. ????
For a piece of functionality that needs to be 100% bug free, because any issues in a PDM system usually break a lot of stuff very quickly, I would say that it is not a bit of functionality that should be rushed. I also think that it is a product in it's own right and the development time so far seems very short to set such a rigid release date! It really is one of those ... "It's ready when it's ready" cases.

I just hope that it's 100% tested before a beta and that if it does take it beyond the March release quoted by Max, that it doesn't take significant development resource away from core geometry creation/editing related Alibre features, enhancements, bug fixes and long term user feature requests.

For those of us who don't want PDM (should be an optional paid add-on in my opinion) and have very robust in house procedures for managing Alibre projects, etc. I really hope that v28 will offer significant other new features, enhancements and bug fixes to justify another maintenance renewal!

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Almost seems like PDM should be released separately from AD if it is an add-on. Let AD and Atom 3D release on their own schedule, apart from PDM.
Just sayin'.:)

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
:cool: I forgot about that page and have it bookmarked now. The two or three items that would make a big difference for me are the 'autoscale sketch to first dimension', the slot tool and the library. I know there has been some forum discussion about duplicating drawing sheets and copying views to other sheets so I'm sure someone will be happy with those features.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
I just hope that it's 100% tested before a beta and that if it does take it beyond the March release quoted by Max, that it doesn't take significant development resource away from core geometry creation/editing related Alibre features, enhancements, bug fixes and long term user feature requests.
I also hope that PDM is managed separately with its own release and bugfix schedules. If something breaks in a PDM, a fix must be provided ASAP. We can't wait six months to a year if data loss can happen as a result of a bug.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
See the "In Progress" items on this list: https://www.alibre.com/mrenew/
Hope there is more than that, because the only useful feature for me is slots ... and Max has already discussed that they are not slots over compound sketches, just straight or curved. So any guide track in my test fixtures will still have to be done the old way (which isn't too much effort anyway). The rest are yet more UI fluff and a few drawing features, that whilst long overdue, are not something I've personally never has the use for! I also don't use supplied libraries, because they need to be validated for accuracy before use and I just make and validate parts as I need them. So, not much for me to instantly want to upgrade from that list, sorry! But I'm sure there is plenty in there for some users.

Stu3d

Hope there is more than that, because the only useful feature for me is slots ... and Max has already discussed that they are not slots over compound sketches, just straight or curved. So any guide track in my test fixtures will still have to be done the old way (which isn't too much effort anyway). The rest are yet more UI fluff and a few drawing features, that whilst long overdue, are not something I've personally never has the use for! I also don't use supplied libraries, because they need to be validated for accuracy before use and I just make and validate parts as I need them. So, not much for me to instantly want to upgrade from that list, sorry! But I'm sure there is plenty in there for some users.
Not much there fo rme either.
I really hope Project to Sketch default options are included, that alone would be worth a years maintenance fee to me. I wouldn't expect that to feature in that list as it's a minor detail for most people.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I noticed that the image of the new slot tool examples do not have any dimensions or constraints. o_O I do hope that the resulting sketch does have a way for real time dimensioning and that constraints are applied, especially the tangents. It would be extra work to fully constrain them not unlike the current Offset tool. A demo would be nice to see. :confused:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Harold - real time dimensioning and inferred constraints (for say horizontal) are supported in the new slot tools, the figures making up the slot are constrained tangent. I'm sure there will be videos of these new capabilities in due course.

jfnewman

Almost seems like PDM should be released separately from AD if it is an add-on. Let AD and Atom 3D release on their own schedule, apart from PDM.
Just sayin'.:)
In one on Max's comments
Things that will be in v1 but may change
- Currently the PDM browser IS Alibre Design. It has its own UI but to access PDM you have to open AD and then click PDM. This makes, for example, giving access to your marketing department awkward. We want to decouple from the main executable, that is our plan at some point, but as of right now there are bigger fish and it's unlikely it will happen in v1.

PaulProe

jfnewman,
Can you provide the link to Max's PDM thread where the discussion was being held?

This thread was started because I couldn't find the original post that Max made. The forum search will not accept the term 'PDM' and I couldn't figure out another search term that would bring up that particular thread

Thanks

Paul

jfnewman

jfnewman,
Can you provide the link to Max's PDM thread where the discussion was being held?

This thread was started because I couldn't find the original post that Max made. The forum search will not accept the term 'PDM' and I couldn't figure out another search term that would bring up that particular thread

Thanks

Paul
This is the thread that started the deeper Alibre/PDM question.