What's new

PE3

Mibe

Alibre Super User
I believe that advertising for other (competing) products is not necessary in this user forum?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Kinda - according to the forum description:
General Discussion
Posts include general comments and questions including those regarding how Alibre Design compares to other CAD systems.
So Toshi, How does it compare to Alibre Design v12.1? Speed? Quality? Quantity? Bugs? Price? Features?

[edit] I guess saying it has realtime rendering built in - a feature Alibre Design does not - works. But I'm guessing I'm not the only one interested to hear the rest of the comparisons. [/edit]

Mibe

Alibre Super User
Well, to me his post was more of the advertising type...

Frankly, I'm not really interested in CoCreate since it's a different type of product but if there's things in Alibre that is "standard" in other systems I believe it's better to add a feature request or similar than advertising about specific products.

What's next? How good Autocad 2012 is? ;)

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Knowing what your competition is up to is a very important part of any business. So far this place has been rather open for discussions about such things. I feel that is one of the biggest advantages that Alibre offers compared to their competition.

Toshi can confirm this when he gets up (its 3:45 AM there now) but I believe he has stated that he would rather be using Alibre Design but his workplace requires CoCreate use.

Mibe

Alibre Super User
I agree, to a certain point , but there are hundreds of different cad vendors out there and sometimes CoCreate seems to be the only one - if you know what I mean. :|

Reflections in the workspace? How can that - in any way possible - be something that any user actually need? It looks sooo 2005 ;)

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Mibe said:
Reflections in the workspace? How can that - in any way possible - be something that any user actually need? It looks sooo 2005 ;)
Yes. Like the lame shadows... :)

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
Well, I am not advertising anything here.
I normally request enhancement based on the CoCreate Modeling V15.50c features which I am forced to use in my office.

And I uploaded this thread so people can see one of the big CAD free trial to see what might be good and not so good.
As you already noted, CoCreate is non historic CAD. So no parameter driven design is done.

But if you notice, very few functions are disallowed with this free trial version.
And this is free for non limited time.

You could take this as violation to the rules to the general discussion of Alibre as well as a food of thought for constructive discussion for future Alibre.

It's up to you. :wink:

P.S.
They used to use odd sketching system used in ME10. You have to draw construction lines before drawing real lines.
Today, they allow us to work almost like Alibre sketch system. Actually, it is very much similar to V12.1 sketching feature.
In that sense, you could see Alibre has been a head of one of the expensive CAD. :lol:

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Like I had noted in above I think that the openness of these forums is part of the reason it is so helpful. Often people list other programs here all the time and I think as long as it is useful with Alibre Design and not for a direct replacement of it then it is fine. For example some people here use AutoCAD and Alibre Design together. Some people use Moi3D and Alibre Design together. Some people use CoCreate and Alibre Design together. Some people use Rhino and Alibre Design together. Each is specialized in its own way and its use complements Alibre Design.

Hell even sometimes it becomes a big benefit to Alibre to directly discuss direct replacement/competition software. If not for the great praise HyperShot got here we would still have PhotoRender as the default rendering program. I think HyperShot/KeyShot was a great deal for Alibre and for its users.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Like I had noted in above I think that the openness of these forums is part of the reason it is so helpful. Often people list other programs here all the time and I think as long as it is useful with Alibre Design and not for a direct replacement of it then it is fine.

That's what we want. When people have something to contribute then we want everyone to hear it. If people come on here advocating a switch to another software package they consider to be better than AD, then there better be constructive criticism. Otherwise, it's just some competitor's reseller or someone with too much time. We think we can work well with other software and decrease the total cost of even a combination of us and another software package. And, we are always open to *constructive* criticism.

I also want to point out that I know Wathavy only wants constructive criticism, as he is very active and has often cited benefits and drawbacks to other software. I encourage everyone to say what the like and do not like about the offering he speaks of - and it's our job to make a better one.

Max

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
Max said:
- and it's our job to make a better one.

Thanks for your reply, Max.

Also, I need to confess that learning one more CAD is another big job.
I spent quite a lot of time on learning it. So, I cannot expect people here to learn this CAD easily.
But you can export your Alibre model as STEP and open it in CoCreate Modeling and see and try the features.
I expect you can find some differences. :eek:

Hop

wathavy4 said:
CoCreate PE3 is available.
http://www.ptc.com/offers/tryout/pe3.htm
It's based on 17.00.

Okay, Toshi, I took the bait and visited the ptc.com web site.

There is quite an impressive portfolio of software there, but I suspect that you have to have deep pockets to buy-in to it. I say this after encountering similar "no price" web sites for other CAD software. If a vendor won't put prices on their web site, you can bet they are expensive. That, plus the fact that PTC is a multi-mega million dollar corporate umbrella for companies they purchased like ProEngineer, leads me to believe they are neither a serious competitor nor threat to Alibre Design. That would be like Mitsubishi being a competitor to Tata Motors.

CoCreate probably costs at least as much as Autodesk Inventor, SolidWorks, or SolidEdge, none of which I can personally afford. So, why would I want to try a "free" personal edition of CoCreate, investing the time to learn how to use it, and then discover I need to "upgrade" with maintenance and modules if I want to achieve full functionality? It sounds like a classic "bait and switch" sales tactic to me.

Still, free is free, so I may decide to download the "personal edition" just to get a feel for what the "big boys" like you get to play with. :mrgreen:

Hop

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
Hop said:
Still, free is free, so I may decide to download the "personal edition" just to get a feel for what the "big boys" like you get to play with. :mrgreen:
Hop, you got me right, and thank you so much on replying to this! :mrgreen:

I have tried other mid-range CAD trials. They only allow 30 days which were close to nothing.
It took me almost over a year to design anything with CoCreate, so please don't try to dig deep into it.
But you could see how easy it is when you can do the following.

Part organisation utility in Design Explorer
http://feedback.alibre.com/forums/16127 ... ?ref=title

This is not planned in future Alibre, yet.

I am so get used to this feature that I never cared where to create a new part at first, so I can concentrate on design primarily, then I start to move around the newly made part to place where in the design tree.
This will allow user flexible and free thinking while creating design.
With Alibre, you are force to think about the structure while you are designing each details.
I know it is the matter of habit, but changing the part position within the design tree with Alibre is not fun to do, when you need.

But you can see that can be done with this Free trial software, using your own design.

Anyway, I know both good and bad about this software. I can never convince anyone to spend extra time on learning too deep on this. Just a touch would be enough to see the mid-range CAD capability.

Besides, context dependent customizable menu is possible with CoCreate.

Context sensitive customizable right click menu
http://feedback.alibre.com/forums/16127 ... ?ref=title

And I am very glad they accepted the idea. But I am still anxious how much they could make it flexible.
With CoCreate, I don't have to search icons from fly out menus because I inserted most of them into my custom short cuts.
When Alibre V2011 is released, I would really hope to find this feature is well accomplished.

I hope you check out these goodies and enjoy, Hop. :D

rollin45

I not only went to the site, but I downloaded the program. I have played with it for a short time and I have to say it has some nice things about it. It is certainly way over my budget to get fully loaded up on their software, but it is interesting to see how other programs work. I used several different products before I found Alibre, and to be perfectly honest, I may move to another. At present I find Alibre to fit my needs very well, and for the money, I think it is a great value. This of course can change over time, and as we all know, it can change for the better or it can go the other way.

rollin'

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
Thank you for your reply, rollin.

Here are some sneak peek on 17.0.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-6WqpFs ... re=related
I found some feature which can extrude from odd sketch (overlapped lines sketch) attracts too.

Edit:
I cannot see these Youtubes at office, but I could see 'What's New in CoCreate 2008' which seems like Flash Player movie. And I realized that most of their enhancements are done to mimic historical CAD features.
They strengthen those feature to keep their existing customers not to go away....

So, in other way, you may find nothing new. :oops: (Since they are all natural features of Alibre.)

Cheers. :D

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
I feel sorry but the answer is no.

The only option is to draw in Annotation and print it out.
You can only import STEP and no way out of the system unless you buy the real one.
Then they will translate pk2 etc to pkg etc which works with real version.

Attachments

• SaveAs.png
    SaveAs.png
    119.4 KB · Views: 90

dammerel

Wathavy,

Would you consider cocreate to work "a bit" like sketchup ie no history just draw but cocreate has parameters
I am just trying to head my head around it

Andrew

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
dammerel said:
Would you consider cocreate to work "a bit" like sketchup ie no history just draw but cocreate has parameters
I am just trying to head my head around it
Well, no history has advantage over historical CAD when the data is handed over to other designer, it is easy to modify without examining how it was made.
Actually, any 2D drawing has this character, you can modify the existing 2D drawing even if it was fully dimensioned.

Same is true when non historical CAD model is used.
But as I said, they know this isn't their advantage which is well known in the CAD world, so they directed their developments toward historic kind of features with 17.0.
Also, they started their new development on Pro/E and CoCreate collaboration through their database.
I have too little understanding on this matter, please refer follow.

http://www.ptc.com/project-lightning/
Offer full upwards compatibility with the PTC products customers are using today (e.g., Pro/ENGINEER, CoCreate, ProductView, Windchill)

Attachments

• ProjectLightning.png
    ProjectLightning.png
    577.4 KB · Views: 72

kev h

Hi

On a side note , have just been asked by new customer if i can accept some file from Google sketch up , is there any useful export to get it into Alibre or is it just image files?

Cheers Kev 8)