What's new

Phanthom, Center lines

kdevoe

Phanthom, Center lines

I have upgrade to v. 10 and have noticed a problem with the phanthom and center lines in 2d drawings. They work great on straight lines but if you draw a circle, say for a detailed section, it shows and prints as a solid line. I have added different values in the "alibre_unicode.lin" file and added them to my layers but get the same results.

Has anyone seen this and how do I fix it.

It worked fine in v. 9.2

Kevin

steved

Centre lines

I posted on this subject and have had no replies as yet, my current status is that I have given up on this issue and am living with the poor quality prints.

I think that a work around could be to have separate layers for circles and straight lines.

Cheers

Steve

dmckee101

Alibre Super User

I think the problem lies in the fact that in 2D Alibre will NOT draw a circle. It's just a polygon with a lot of segments. The line segments are so short that it appears to be continuous. If you switch the line to 'dotted' you should see it change. I know dotted is not what you want but it does demonstrate the principle.

kdevoe

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to use the dotted line for now and send in a support problem. Maybe if more people send them in it will get fixed. It seems strange to do drawings and not being able to use the basic line types.

Thanks again,

Kevin

scarr

You might want to try changing the scale and weight factors of the lines/circles you're trying to change in the Layers panel (use the Over ride switch).

kdevoe

Thanks Steve,

I tried that, it didn't work either. I also went into the unicode file for lines and made some of my own, but the results are all the same.

Kevin

scarr

I'm only looking at this from the perspective of circles right now, but depending on the Zoom factor the line charateristics become quite evident or everything looks like a solid line. When I do a print to Adobe PDF Phantom lines become dashed lines (large dashes), so even though I can see differences in the lines, they aren't printing true (in PDF). When I print normally I get pretty much the same results, although I'm printing at 8-1/2 x 11 so I wouldn't expect to see a lot of differentation at that scale (D size to A size). I'll try creating a few new line types and let you know how they turn out. After that I'll enter a new support case.

kdevoe

i noticed that if I zoom in on the line you can see the phantom to a poin an then it stays at that perpective no mater how much more you zoom in.
I tried printing on a "C" size drawing but it still shows a solid.

Kevin

Max

Administrator
Staff member

Hello everyone,

We have seen this bug and it has been escalated. It is something which was accidently introduced in the final version of v10 but we are working on it and it has high priority. Just wanted to relay the info. We apologize for any inconvenience it has caused and are working hard to fix it.

Thanks,
Max

kdevoe

Hey Max-Alibre,

Any word on when this fix is coming? I just noticed that when you click on "show hidden lines" in a view it shows hidden lines on the screen, but when you print either to a printer or PDF all circular lines show as a solid. This is a SERIOUS error as I need to show circular hidden lines for my manufacturer to understand complicated drawings. This goes back to basic drawing rules.

Kevin

payers

Re:

kdevoe said:
Hey Max-Alibre,

Any word on when this fix is coming? I just noticed that when you click on "show hidden lines" in a view it shows hidden lines on the screen, but when you print either to a printer or PDF all circular lines show as a solid. This is a SERIOUS error as I need to show circular hidden lines for my manufacturer to understand complicated drawings. This goes back to basic drawing rules.

Kevin

I'm having the same issue with prints. It doesn't appear to matter which version of AD created the drawing, either. Straight hidden lines are printing properly, but any that are circular are printing as solid lines.

steved

Lines

Same problem here, it's a real issue for me due to the nature of our products almost every part that I do is round I would like a fix for this as soon as possible.

Cheers

Steve

Max

Administrator
Staff member

Hey all,

Again, I'd like to apologize for the issue you all are experiencing. We've fixed it and given thought to how we could deliver the fix. Unfortunately, do to the nature of the issue, we cannot use our Zap Pack method of delivery and will be forced to wait until the Service Pack, currently scheduled for around the end of this month.

Thanks,
Max

sdisalvo

Hidden Circular Features

This is a problem that must be fixed ASAP. I had a pissed off machinist and his supervisor come into my office earlier this week because several thousand dollars worth of parts were scrapped out because of my "incorrect" manufacturing drawing. I scratched my head, investigated the situation a little further, and found that the hidden circles are in fact printing as solid lines.

No amount of explaining can undo the impression on the shop floor that I caused the machinist to scrap out his parts and my prints are not to be trusted. I can't even shift the blame to the company by blaming its choice of CAD software since I am the one who owns the license.

This is a major problem for me because the prints I have printed since I upgraded to version 10 are just now making their way to the machining cells and now I must hunt down all job packets that may be affeced by this and "correct" the prints before another incident occurs.

I have been very happy with Alibre so far but if this problem does not get addressed very soon, I will become very dissatisfied.

indesign

Alibre Super User

It seems to me to be related to the line scale when printing. The hidden lines are not scaling to the print size.

Max

Administrator
Staff member

We sincerely apologize for this issue. We cannot offer an "official" fix until the service pack is released. However, due to the nature of this issue, we will offer anyone that requests it the pre-release version of Alibre Design 10.0 SP1. This contains the fix, as well as a host of yet to be disclosed 2D enhancements we feel you will get great benefit from. We take your business success very seriously and hope that this solution will work. This is a pre-release, so there are steps you should take and risks you should know before using this version.

If you are interested in learning more about obtaining the current pre-release version of SP1, and the pros and cons of doing so, please contact me directly below for more information via email. Please include the word "SP1" in the subject line so we can deliver this solution as promptly as possible.

Thanks to all for your feedback, and we hope that this provides you with a workable solution.

maxf@alibre.com
Max Freeman
Product Manager
214 389 9083

scarr

Thanks for the information Max. I'll be contacting you shortly to discuss the risk/benefit aspects of the hotfix. Again, plaudits to Alibre for their attention to the folks who regularly use this forum, not many companies are so dedicated to making sure the needs of their customers are met in such a timely fashion.

Max

Administrator
Staff member

Thanks for the great feedback Scarr. I just wanted to clarify - this is not a hotfix, also termed a ZapPack, but is rather a full installation download. Not a big deal, just wanted everyone to be on the same page. Thanks!

Max