What's new

Photorender Crashing

cclark440

Alibre Super User
Photorender Crashing

I haven't used photorender much, but in the last couple of weeks I have been trying it out. I think I have tried it about 6 times or so. Everytime I try it ends up locking up and taking Alibre with it.

Any ideas as to what the problem might be?

Re: Photorender Crashing

cclark440 said:
I haven't used photorender much, but in the last couple of weeks I have been trying it out. I think I have tried it about 6 times or so. Everytime I try it ends up locking up and taking Alibre with it.

I just downloaded and installed it, and have been trying it out. Even when following along in the tutorial, it crashes...

Frustrating, yes?

Jason

jemmej

I think this is a known issue (though I can't be certain). I too get crashes. I believe it comes from trying to manually rotate and maneuver around the part within the environment. Mine crashes every time.

P-X

Re:

jemmej said:
I think this is a known issue (though I can't be certain). I too get crashes. I believe it comes from trying to manually rotate and maneuver around the part within the environment. Mine crashes every time.

P-X

Now thatyou mention it, every time it crashes on me, it was while I was rotating the model.. hmmm...

aa4

These types of crashes in Photorender have been previously reported. We are working towards improving the photorendering module in the future, however we would like to know for documentation purposes some information:

What type of system do you have? i.e. P4 with dual core processor
Does the system have hyper-threading?
What type of videocard are you using?
Describe the type of part/assembly that you were working with in Photorender? i.e. a small assembly with 10 parts, an assembly with complex geometry (helix, complex spline curves), etc

skeller

Having same exact problem with Photorender. As soon as I try to do anything with the view controls it locks.

I am running the following:
Intel Core Duo 6600
2GB RAM

No hyper-threading

Nvidia GeForce 6800XT 512MB RAM

Small assembly 15parts, nothing complex.

Ver 9 still crashes as often

Nice program, very helpful but takes a lot of time with all the crashes. I was hoping the latest update would fix the problem but it crasked twice in few moments. Yes, when I was doing rotates for views. Does not crash everytime.

Pretty simple assemblies 3 to 50 parts. I have used it on three different couputers the latest is a Core Dual with 2 Meg of memory, all systems are running XP.

Pretty easy to get to fail, should be able to duplicated it in the lab several times per hour

jemmej

I would agree and I wonder where development is on this? I always chalked it up to my system being a dog but other's good systems seem to crash too.

I just tried to use a simple rectangular solid and it still would not rotate (the first command active). This is quite an annoying bug and reduces the usefulness of the photorender system. Does anyone NOT have crashes while rotating and panning, etc.

Jim

jemmej

I'd also like to add that this is not a CPU busy situation. The program hangs for sure as I get 0% CPU use while it is unresponsive.

Jim

PhotoRender crashing

Good news everyone !
There's a simple solution to this. The problem is most likely the amount of available RAM. Try minimizing Alibre Design as soon as you start PhotoRenderer. I had constant crashes before I decided to monitor my RAM with the Windows Task Manager. I was very surprised to see how much of my 1 Gig was used up when running both Photo Renderer and Alibre Design in open windows. There's more to it than just the RAM but minimizing everything except for Photo Renderer has seen the number of crashes drop from 10 per day to 1 in the last week or so !

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Dave Robinson
(Tomorrow's Technology)

For those with a 32 Mb (or less) graphics cards, manipulating your component in Photo Renderer can be painfull !
We now use Alibre Design and Photo Renderer on a PC with a 256 Mb AGP graphics card and the difference is unbelievable.
You can virtually rotate, zoom and pan with performance that almost matches doing the same in Alibre Design (not quite but close). We plan to go to a 1 Gig graphics card on a PC with 4 Gig of RAM soon.

Essentially, make sure you have a good graphics card (lots of RAM) and a decent amount of RAM (> 1 Gig) in your PC, if you're going to use Photo Renderer for serious work.

Note: Photo Renderer still works on our 32 Mb graphics card machine, its just that you have to wait for the scene to update - kind of like waiting for the bath to drain :)-)

Cheers,
Dave Robinson
(Tomorrow's Technology)