What's new

plane/solid intersection curve

Is there a way to achieve intersection curves between a planer object and a solid in Alibre expert? I would like to create the intersection curves then add them to a sketch to create additional features, and no, projecting curves won't work. I've considered other modeling techniques but the intersection curves, especially if they would stay parameterized, would be the most direct way to accomplish the result.

Thanks in advance (tia).

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Do you have a screen shot of what you are working on? That may help to formulate an answer for your issue.
ITMT, have you tried Project to 3D sketch?

dwc

Alibre Super User
Set a precise section view on your planar object. You can project from the section view.

HaroldL, thanks for the article, it looks very interesting however there are no edges to project, the section is through a contour of a 3d shape with no flat, straight, or parallel edges.

dwc, awesome recommendation, didn't understand it at first when I saw it before but your suggestion made me look again. This would be perfect with the exception of non-associativity. As the design progresses and adjustments are made it seems the only way to fix it would be to re-project the curves when the shape changes. Not ideal but do-able. Do you have any hints for working with this type of projection?

Thanks again for the help.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Edges are not projected, the intersection of the two parts defines a new 3D sketch.
Sounds like only one is a solid part and the other is a surface.

@multicaduser can you trim the solid model, then project those edges with maintain association to the necessary sketches, and then disable the trim feature? I'm not sure if the sketch figures will still update to changes if toggle on and off the trim feature in the future.

Well NateLiqGrav, I tried your suggestion in a test file by creating a plane where the feature should be, then a sketch line on that plane and used it to create a thin extrude cut. The resulting edges were then projected onto the same plane maintaining associativity. The next step was to suppress the extrude cut, then move the plane. As expected the sketch did not update when the plane was moved with the cut suppressed but did update when the cut was un-suppressed. Interesting workflow.

HaroldL, surfaces are still stumping me. Do you have an example that you are willing to share where surfaces are created in Alibre then used to trim or intersect?

Thanks everyone for the replies, will keep digging with every suggestion.

idslk

Alibre Super User
Do you have an example that you are willing to share where surfaces are created in Alibre then used to trim or intersect?
Surface was made in alibre from an loft body and saved as .iges

1682200659205.png

Regards
Stefan

Attachments

• Surface_test.AD_PKG
    91.7 KB · Views: 3
idslk, thank you very much for the model. I understood the trim solid with the surface, but not having a need for surfaces before now creating one was a question. After getting your model I started looking at all the documentation and videos available. I am very surprised at the lack of surfacing tools in AD, coming from a very strong surfacing background (it all started in Unigraphics V7 for one if you can believe it). AD is a very capable system, it just requires more steps than some systems to accomplish the same results.

So to test a theory, a lofted body was created between two rectangles rotated from each other, then five of the six faces were deleted using surface delete face. Next a block was created that intersects the remaining face, and the trim tool was used on the block. The remaining face from the loft was deleted to clean up the model. The one benefit from this was the loft sketches could be edited and the trim will update when the model is generated to the last feature.

I haven't even used more than 10% of what AD can do, this is just starting to get fun.