What's new

Plasticity 3d - The new kid in the block

Ex Machina

Reading some of the authors posts from I think close to a year ago, because of the sanctions on Russia he no longer had access to the kernel developers (legally) and was looking to move it to the Acis or Parasolid kernels. His comment was it was easier to port to Parasolid and it was more capable than Acis but it was more expensive by a lot. The original choice of C3D was relative cost, that was how it was going to be brought to the masses. I don't recall what choice he made.
OK, good to know!

As for Kernels, everytime I hear someone saying this is more capable than that, I cringe a bit. But maybe that's just me.

Ex Machina

I like how he says that ACIS is slow and how "Spaceclaim kinda makes due but Spaceclaim is too slow". Meanwhile Alibre uses ACIS and has by far the fastest menus, which is why I did a 03:40 in TTT's September Leaderboard Challenge without the ability to extrude multisection sketches, and Joost is a complete Alien wiping the floor with any other competitor in TTT championships using ANSYS Spaceclaim...

Let's not do this. Let's not be Geometry Kernel fanboys. It's lame enough being a fanboy of anything, CAD kernels might be the worst option yet. My opinion is that Parasolid and ACIS are the 2 oldest ones and have been in development since the '80s. They are too close to call, anyway.

This one kid (Nick Kallen) worked wonders. Actual, real, wonders! He did amazing stuff, virtually on his own. But let's leave it at that.

Yeah, it's not for everyone, and most folks here make industrial type things with extruded cylinders and blocks...drilled and filleted.

It is a tool in my box, but not necessary for everything.

Yes, parasolid is kind of hyer than thou. The main difference one might notice is it's crazy ability to fillet when other solvers simply fail. If it gets out of control, parasolid will auto patch repairs to compensate for rough usage. And it's so fast, you can use sliders to make realtime adjustments. The second big thing is matching surfaces and continuity is super easy compared to "cheap" alternatives like Rhino. So you can be bad at surfacing (an artist) and still succeed. Third big thing is the ability to take a dumb solid and push, pull, repair some fillets, etc. Similar to synchronous modeling in NX.

I use Plasticity to sharpen my skills in NX when I have to surface every once in a while. NX is unobtainium for home use, so it's great practice.

Most everything I model in Plasticity (so far) can be dropped right into Alibre for adding features. You can import an airfoil or trackball modeled in Plasticity, then make cuts, holes, etc in Alibre with history.

For fun (yes, Alibre would be a better choice) I modeled an adapter for my biathlon harness and imported into Alibre for drafting:
BiathlonHarness.png

This one took less than an hour to model...a little longer to setup for render. Modeling in context with several bodies is fast and easy. Might be an example where you make freeform surfaces, then cut your circuit board/switch mounts and anything else in Alibre.
TrackballRender.png

Surfacing is kinda for snobby artists I guess, but sometimes it can be handy when mixed in with traditional methods of design. Great for casting design too!

I've been out of the loop for several months, so someone else could chime in. I'm running an older version of Studio. I can import a multi-body using IGES on default settings right now. I haven't tested .parasolid format but theoretically it should be the best as the conversion does not deprecate the base geo if you are super picky. Note that only the Studio version will import/export with Alibre.

Edit: IGES (.igs) imports good either in Open menu or Surface import menu. v1.3.0-beta-.35 is latest this date.
Alibre doesn't like .STEP/.Parasolid but it may be down to how I save or import/exporter version mismatches.

Matthews.PNG

Last edited:

kritoke

Not sure if anyone noticed, but they just added the ability to edit dimensions and make things certain distances from other areas. The release video calls the release CAD Unchained. It sort of has constraints, I haven’t had a chance to play with it yet.

aptivaboy

I already use Alibre and Moment of Inspiration. What would Plasticity offer that my two existing programs don't offer? I'm trying to figure out if there's a glaring need for it.

Many thanks!

Abhijit

It's interesting to see the curiosity in this thread and the market Plasticity was able to capitalize on.
Plenty ditched Fusion etc and switched.
My intent with the post was to highlight the same.

I feel Alibre Atom could be that, with the experience of Alibre, no limitations raw direct modeling and surfacing capabilities offered by ACIS.
The features would carry over and benefit Pro and Expert, and the users who feel the need for Parametric Capabilities upgrade higher in the ecosystem.
This would open Alibre to a much wider audience from various domains.

Food for thought.

Latitude

I already use Alibre and Moment of Inspiration. What would Plasticity offer that my two existing programs don't offer? I'm trying to figure out if there's a glaring need for it.

Many thanks!
Really good fillets and the ability to delete fillets.

Actually plasticity is amazing at de-featuring which I end up using it for quite often.

Abhijit

I was mainly interested in surface modeling but after trying it for a month I didn't buy it because it didn't provide anything better than alibre atom3d. at least in my case that is only for making rc airplane models and rc cars
With all due respect Miftachul, impossible.
Some might say aah it's not class A just use Alias($12k/y), but to be honest for a $150 perpetual this slaps hard.
[Modeled by Christian Zarkow Schweger]

F9CicZBXsAA2efo.jpgF9Cic8aWUAAwMum.jpg

Nevertheless, this thread was my attempt to show different perspectives and inspirations for workflows/tools/strategies that can bring fresh stock to our ecosystem that benefit both the users as well as the company.
There is always space and user pain-points, it's all about who notices and solves for it.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
Blender + MoI3D = Plasticity

Many of its features remind me of Solid Edge/NX Synchronous Technology. I'm waiting for the API.

With all due respect Miftachul, impossible.
Some might say aah it's not class A just use Alias($12k/y), but to be honest for a $150 perpetual this slaps hard.
[Modeled by Christian Zarkow Schweger]

View attachment 40423View attachment 40424

Nevertheless, this thread was my attempt to show different perspectives and inspirations for workflows/tools/strategies that can bring fresh stock to our ecosystem that benefit both the users as well as the company.
There is always space and user pain-points, it's all about who notices and solves for it.
yes that's true with many features for surface modeling you can create nice details. plus it comes at a very low price. But in my case I don't need it, at least until now.

kritoke

Blender + MoI3D = Plasticity

Many of its features remind me of Solid Edge/NX Synchronous Technology. I'm waiting for the API.
Plasticity also has a bridge so it hooks straight into Blender as you work in plasticity. It auto updates in the program so you can edit it immediately. A lot of people really were going crazy for that feature. Personally, the reason I use Alibre is because I gave up on figuring out Blender after attempting to learn hard surface modeling in it one weekend following a well done course.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
Yep. The UI, keyboard bindings, controls feel like Blender and the simpler surfacing/modeling features feel like MoI3D. But it has far surpassed MoI3D features and has a CAD workflow unlike Blender (at least without addons). A Blender bridge is a nice to have for any app. I made a simple Blender bridge for Alibre, before they added obj export.

kritoke

I have plasticity but still end up using Moi3d and Alibre more, but hope the new dimension tools will help. I have a weird design idea that I think might be easier in it than the others (has some weird lofting and fillets that are hard to sketch). The new moi3d beta is decent though, it uses another kernel for fillet and chamfers and has grouping and a dark mode included.

Nick just recently signed a deal with XNURBS to include it as part of Plasticity. I think XNURBS is around $400 as an addon for Rhino. Plasticity Studio is still hovering at $300. Pretty good deal if you're doing oddball inlets or manifolds for an engine. New functionality is still in Beta.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Watching the video reminded me of surface modeling in SolidWorks, patching some oddly lofted surfaces and fillets.