What's new

Plastics and Metal Design Guides

wba

I'm interested in designing small electronic enclosures made of plastics and/or various metals. I've found some interesting guides to plastic design basics at http://www.geplastics.com (now called Sabic Innovative Plastics) looking under Literature and Tools>Design Guides. Does anyone have any other suggestions for web sites or text books that cover the basics of such metal and plastic design?
I see where it would be very easy to design something that looks great but not manufacturable or usable.

There are really no definitive guides to totally design a plastic part. Most of what you read will deal with general rules for designing ribs, vertical walls, location of holes, etc. I have been in plastics for over 30 years and molded/designed quite a few odd products. Basically my theory is, if you can draw it you can mold it. Practical design just determines how much it will cost. I assume you will not do the manufacturing so your best bet is to design your part then deal with a manufacturer in your area that can criticize or simplify your design if needed. Just remember that design is like anything else--5 people, 5 different ways to manufacture it.
George