What's new

Point cloud files

ChrisJ

Point cloud files

Can a point cloud file, one generated by digitizing a part on a mill, be imported into Alibre and converted to 3D faces? With the likely answer of no, what chances are there in the near future of incorporating this feature into the Alibre product? or making available a third party add-on? :?:

peakhp

Point Cloud Files in Alibre

I too have an immediate need to load several point cloud files into Allibre. I received some IGES files from the CMM and I am able to import them into Rhino and saving them out as STEP files. However Allibre gives an error when importing it stating "ACISERROR_IMPORT_NO_FACES: Import - The File has no faces to stich."

I suspect I'll have to build my faces in Rhino and then import the Rhino file but I don't know. Does anyone know the best way to get point cloud files into Alibre? I'd be happy if I could even just see the points!!

Thanks,

Steve

mtauer

Export from Rhino as a *.txt file, comma delimited, UNcheck "surround values with double quotes" in the export options box.

Then open to your part workspace in AD
Go to:
3D sketch
Figures
Insert from file
Browse to select *.txt file
Select your curve/node options and click "OK"

I just did this with my Microscribe with success. I am not sure how AD will handle large point clouds.

I imagine any *.txt file containing point data can be brought into AD regardless of where it is generated from, as long as file follows the required AD format.

While I do not know what your parts look like,I believe developing surfaces in Rhino from point cloud data would be the way to go, as AD is not a surfacing software.
Then, if required, bring the surfaces into AD to add mechanical features.

Mark

dcarlile

Point Cloud

Take a look at "Point Cloud 1.0" at http://www.fpsols.com. It seems to work well, although it doesn't seem to output anything directly useable in Alibre, although I was just using the demo version. Perhaps the licensed version has more output options.

peakhp

What I did that seemed to work well was to load my point clouds into Rhino and create a surface of the part. I then deleted the point cloud and left only the surface and saved that as a regular Rhino3d file. I then opened up that Rhino3d file in Alibre and it was able to show the surface. I then recreated the geometry to match the surface, but I expected that. I was then able to build my part from that geometry.

Hope this helps..

steve