What's new

Points and axes not working in V23?

JST

Alibre Super User
I have a design for a client which involves some pipework, for a welded frame, not fluid flow.

I need to stick a couple parts together which have angle cuts on them, since the frame has an angle at that point.

The way I have done this in the past is to get the two parts with their cut ends aligned coplanar, then establish axes and then points in the cut plane, and finally make the points coincident, or a point and the opposite axis coincident.

Only this is not working. The constraint is accepted, but the parts do not come together. One is fixed, but the other is free, minimum motion is off, there seems to be no reason these will not come together.

It's really a case for the model to be posted, but I can't do that, there is other stuff in it which I can't show. If I edit out the other stuff, then I may edit out the problem.

I know that red constraints can cause this. There are none. I did have a red constraint due to an anchored part, but removing the anchor makes no difference. No constraints show up red, but it still does not work.

However, if I do the same thing in a separate assembly, having only the two parts, it does work.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Try doing a version with just the pipes - if that works, something else is causing the issue. Might at least give you a clue.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
It's really a case for the model to be posted, but I can't do that, there is other stuff in it which I can't show. If I edit out the other stuff, then I may edit out the problem.
I'm sure posting the model directly to support would be 100% confidentially safe, as they have a duty of care to treat your data as confidential. I'm sure an NDA could be put in place if required. It would also directly resolve the issue (or find a potential bug). I agree that posting on an open public forum is not the way to go, or possibly resolve the issue effectively.

JST

Alibre Super User
Try doing a version with just the pipes - if that works, something else is causing the issue. Might at least give you a clue.

Already done, see post above yours.

That's the issue, it does not work in the assembly, which is where it needs to. It works with two parts.

Yet another case where the nonexistence of debugging tools causes literal hours of work trying this and that, and the other thing...... Mostly easier to trash the assembly and rebuild it. Which I expect to do.

I'm sure posting the model directly to support would be 100% confidentially safe, as they have a duty of care to treat your data as confidential. I'm sure an NDA could be put in place if required. It would also directly resolve the issue (or find a potential bug). I agree that posting on an open public forum is not the way to go, or possibly resolve the issue effectively.

An NDA is an NDA, and does not have loopholes. I'm not going to ask Alibre for an NDA, I will work around the problem in less time. And I do not have authorization to do that anyhow.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe try deleting items from problem assembly until it works....

Yes Alibre will sign any reasonable NDA if required for support to see the files.

JST

Alibre Super User
Well, I devised a work-around for this problem.

I still don't know what the issue was, but it was resistant to solution. I wasted much more time than I should have looking for problems with the assembly. I never did find anything that fixed it, and it seems to be something that should "just work".

Unfortunately, the assembly that did not work is gone.... so no ability to submit it, even if I wanted to.